Author Topic: Making the Laminated English Warbow DVD  (Read 12571 times)

Offline RyanY

Making the Laminated English Warbow DVD
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:09:51 am »
So I've known about this video for quite some time and it popped into my head again today. So after watching the preview video on youtube several times I found it on 3rivers for about 33 bucks, s&h included. I didn't buy it yet because before I do I would like to ask if any of you have bought the video and if its worth it? Has anyone heard anything about it? Any and all information would be helpful in making my decision. Thanks guys!

Offline Davepim

Re: Making the Laminated English Warbow DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:05:57 am »
It's a first rate video, as is the parallel video of forging arrowheads, from the same company, and no doubt, the soon-to-be released medieval arrow-making video. These three were anticipated as being released as a single 3-video pack late this year (before Christmas).

Dave

Offline Purbeck

• English Warbow Archer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:30:15 am »
Excellent DVD on all aspects of making a heavy bow. I have followed it very sucessfully for shaping a stave, tillering, adding knocks and finishing my first bow. I will attempt to make a bow from sctach next and am confident that this DVD tells what I need to know!
Purbeck

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:06 am »
Thanks guys. Now one concern of mine is choice of woods. I'm afraid that the video will only talk about a few kinds of wood for making bows like this and if I can't get access to those woods I'm not sure what I would do. Any more advice?

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:11 am »
The only wood discussed which would be difficult to obtain would be degame (lemonwood). Otherwise, osage, hickory, purpleheart, etc., are used. It is definately a first rate video, and well worth the money.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43:36 pm »
I was afraid of that. The wood place I go to has hickory and purple heart but no so much osage unless I get a big turning block. What woods might work as a belly lam? I was thinking white oak maybe?

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:59:52 pm »
For a really heavy bow you don't really want to be using lemonwood anyway, it doesn't perform very well at weights over 60#. Osage is a much better option, as is Yew heartwood, Ipe is also very good.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 01:06:58 pm »
Yeah. I really can't get any of those woods at the lumber mill I go to but maybe I can find another place. Either that or I'll have to experiment. Thanks for the responses.

Offline Heiner

• Franco Flemish Contingent
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »
Ipe is also sold as planks for building terraces/decking of ships. Maybe that will help you find a place dealing with such stuff, instead of the wood mill.

Heiner

P.S.: I think the dvd is a good buy too. Didn't regret it myself.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:06:19 pm by Heiner »
Institio regressum significat.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 10:43:16 pm »
For a really heavy bow you don't really want to be using lemonwood anyway, it doesn't perform very well at weights over 60#. Osage is a much better option, as is Yew heartwood, Ipe is also very good.
Bull.

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 05:28:42 am »
Bull.

Would you care to elaborate? When I have made bows in excess of 60# with a lemonwood belly I have always found them to take excessive set and be sluggish to shoot, now this could well be to me not being very good at bow making (which I certainly don't claim to be), however I've made heavier bows with Osage and Ipe and the difference is very marked.

Yewboy

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 05:54:23 am »
Lemon wood will make a reasonable heavy bow however the performance will not be like that of Osage or Ipe, that is due to the fact that both Osage and Ipe hold a lot of draw weight for very little mass, this will speed up the limb return, however lemon wood is perfectly adequate for making heavy bows and will have no trouble reaching clout distances and innevitably ranges up to bow shot 240yds when using the correct matched arrows. A bow that takes on a bit of a set usually proves to be more reliable so as long as it is a little ammount then don't worry about it, The dimensions used on the DVD allow for this and keep the tips quite stiff, this will reduce the ammount of set, also gluing with a forward set will greatly reduce the ammount of set. This is all discussed on the DVD.
Other woods that can be used for the belly are:
Costello Boxwood
Jatoba
Pau Amorello
Satin Bloodwood
Santos Rosewood

Ipe is very cheap in comparion to the other woods and can be bought as lengths of decking, however you must clean thoroughly with acetone before gluing as there a lot of natural oils in this wood.

Offline Redhawke

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 12:16:07 pm »
I have been trying to find a copy of this DVD for a while and can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have a source for purchase ?