Author Topic: squirrel fever  (Read 4634 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

squirrel fever
« on: October 03, 2009, 11:27:36 am »
I had my bow and my arrow, with my homemade tin can arrowhead on it.I saw a squirrel about 8 yards away, got ready, but he ran off, I walked up 5 yards and saw him standing there 20 yards away.he kept popping his little head up, turned around and looked at me, and started running up to me. I was ready to take the shot when he was at 10 yards but figured i would wait for him to stop moving. he does his moon hop up toward me until he was 2 yards away from me. I stood there stunned, his black beady eyes looking at me, drew my bow, aimed straight at his head, and missed!!!!!!!!!!!!didnt even hit him i think and went right in the stairs on my deck. now i gotta straiten out my arrow and wait again.Man was my heart pounding, and im still shaking as i right this. :o
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline chasing crow

Re: squirrel fever
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 11:37:01 am »
Ya, sounds like you do have the sickness!! No cure. But you're right, the only treatment for your fever is to get back at it!!! Good luck, keep having fun and be safe.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:50:14 am »
haha everyone is hunting deer but im hunting squirrel

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:49:10 pm »
HEy Youngbowyer,

You're just like me!!  It's been deer season for almost a month, and I haven't once tried to go after deer.  I'm just hunting squirrels instead!  I love it...it's so much fun.  Last night I had one give me a perfect broadside opportunity, but I Wanted to get it on video but I took too long setting up the camera and he finally had enough and ran off.  I'm hoping to get a squirrel kill on video using my primitive bow...we'll see though because it is VERY hard to do.

Marietta, Georgia

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 01:48:29 pm »
i think ill get one in a week or 2, but squirrels are smarter then they should be

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 06:14:13 pm »
 hey young bowyer, sounds like you got the classic case haha. some advise, find a good few nut trees and sit down, scanning for any leaves shaking and listening for scraching on bark. if you get out at dawn you'll really see em movin! best time i can tell ya is from first light to 10 o clock- and make sure you got all the wood and water prepaired to cook it if youre out in the woods- i can give ya some good recipes too if u want. i also never use blunts anymore, a like a skinny broadhead best. happy hunting man! -jimmy
!
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 08:24:57 pm »
Don't be hard on yourself. I mostly hunt squirrels. Have for the last 15 years or so. Great fun and fantastic eating. Can't ask for much more. Kepp at it and have fun.
Chasing Crow

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:50:20 am »
i killed a few over the weekend but i cheated and used my 16 guage. i killed two rabbits that i probably could have hit with the bow.
lets just shoot it

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 01:03:04 pm »
 shot 5 of em just yesterday, all foxes here in illinois lol. recurve shooters right, i think i could of drilled 2 out of the 5 i got with a bow... but still great fun haha- jimmy.
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

coyote pup

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 01:12:11 pm »
Squirrel is just about all I care to hunt.  I don't really hunt deer cause personally I ain't much for the taste. And since we hardly don't have any rabbits in my neck of the woods, squirrel is about the only option I have. But I ain't complaining cause like was said above, "great fun and fantastic eating".

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:01:26 pm »
Pup, you got that right. Stew, fried or baked, it is good stuff! And Youngbowyer my 13 year old daughter just took her first shot at a squirrel with her self bow this weekend. Just missed and ready to get back to it.
Chasing Crow

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:48 pm »
I can tell you brother, that it only gets worse.. before you know it you will be stalking grizzlies and huge bull elk and the same hunters spirit will be in your blood... aim small miss small... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston