Author Topic: Jerky Making  (Read 19227 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Jerky Making
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:56:34 pm »
Tsalagi, Bert the Turtle?!!!   Man, you just told your age!!  I don't know if I can go the mutton jerky route.  I am not a fan of Mutton.
To me, it tastes like how I perceive dog would taste. :P My Girlfriend loves leg of lamb, but I don't.  I know people who talk about how wild, and strong venison tastes.  It does?  But I can tell you from my view, lamb is a very strong, and wild tasting critter. :P  The only way, I actually enjoyed it, was in a Palestinian restaurant.  I don't know how they cooked it, but it didn't have that strong taste.  I will just stick to Deer, Elk, antelope, maybe moose, Beef, and such for jerky.  Goat, maybe because it tastes somewhat like venison.
                                                                       Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 06:26:39 am »
Wayne....have you ever eaten a truly traditional Greek GYRO Sandwich?? They are Lamb....and the only way that I can swallow the Stuff also!! Nasty Wild Flavor to it! The Sandwich is shredded Lamb in a Pita Shell....with a tzatziki sauce.... which is made with Greek-style yogurt.... diced cucumbers.... dill weed and a small amount of vinegar..... The ingredients of a gyro sandwich are intended to work together with the tzatziki sauce counteracting the spiciness of the gyro meat.....must work cause I Like the S$%t out of them!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 01:50:37 pm »
Well, for me and my wife, the "wilder" tasting the meat, the better we like it. That's one reason we love jackrabbit. My wife sends me out to hunt them and bring them home. She prefers the jacks to the cottontails. By the way, jackrabbits are the next critter headed for jerky-making in this house. We eat the heck out of mutton and lamb. If only we could get goat!! I'd make some great jerky with goat!

Living a dream...

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 01:54:16 pm »
Stickbender, well, I'm not a child of the 50s. I was born in the Summer of Love. Grew up hearing the Mamas and the Papas, Beatles, Janis Joplin, Peter Paul and Mary...

Living a dream...

Offline boo

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 03:13:00 pm »
Tsalagi, I have a batch of fresh deernjerky going now with you recipe. Ill let you know what i think around 10 pm tonight  ;D I let it sit in the fridge over night inthe marinade, sure smelled good. Thanks
Boo

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 04:29:12 pm »
Boo, tell ya what. If you don't like the way that deer jerky comes out, why, I'll eat every last bite of it.  ;D Seriously, I'm glad you thought enough of the recipe to try it. I think you'll like it.
Living a dream...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 05:05:35 pm »

El Destructo, Yeah, I have had them, and liked them, and I have had lamb in a Greek restaurant, and it wasn't too bad there.
Tsalagi, you grew up in a great time, great music.  I grew up listening to Roy rogers, the sons of the Pioneers, Tex Ritter, father of John Ritter, and Gene Autry, Roy Acuff, Hank Snow, Eddie Arnold, Little Jimmy Dickens, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, The Carters, and Red Foley, et al.  That was when Country, was country, and country western was country western.  Not what it is today.  Where anyone, can just put something in his mouth, and mumble, and moan, and call it country. :P

Wayne 

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 11:06:36 pm »
I grew up hearing some of those folks, too, Stickbender. Patsy Cline tunes are real big now in the L.A. coffeehouse scene and have been for some years now. All these twenty-somethings think they just "discovered" this great new singer to turn their friends on to.  :D

Well, my parrot gave my jerky her stamp of approval. She loves it.
Living a dream...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 12:47:50 am »

Yuppies are amazing aren't they?  ::)  Well good for your parrot.  I am glad she likes it.  My girl Friend use to raise Cockatiels, and she had one that was given as a sick baby, to her, and she nursed it to health, and kept it, after she got rid of all of her others, and he loved roast beef, chicken, turkey, etc. , but his all time favorite, was shrimp. 8)  What kind of Parrot do you have?  I have a Friend of mine, who has a Scarlet, and a Hyacinth, Macaw.  They are beautiful birds, and very intelligent, and fun.

Wayne

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 11:02:09 pm »
We have a Solomon Islands Eclectus. And four cockatiels. Two lovebirds. A dove. A couple sparrows. Oh, and a pigeon that thinks he's a puppy dog.
Living a dream...

Offline boo

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 11:07:29 pm »
I wont be sending any of this jerky to ya Tsalagi, Its about gone. Everyone that has tried it, loves it. thanks again.
Boo

Offline stickbender

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 11:26:24 pm »

Tsalagi, I raised a baby Mockingbird, and released him.  What a smart little bird he was.  I really miss him.  Or her.  Sounds like you have your hands full.  A pigeon that thinks he's a puppy?  Cool!  It is amazing the personalities, that birds can have, and the expressions that they are able to show. 8)

Wayne

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 12:07:52 am »
Good job on raising that Mockingbird! So many people won't pick up fallen birds. My hat is off to you!

This pigeon we got full-grown from a friend who found it injured and starving. It has an injured wing; probably from a raptor. Well, I put this bird in a crate nailed to the wall. He wouldn't jump down. For months, this bird would attack me every time I went to give him food and water. One day, he just up and decided he liked me. He's been like a lap dog ever since.
Living a dream...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 11:47:32 am »

Yeah, the Mocking Bird, (Jake), was caught by my cat one night, and I heard him squawking.  I had already taken one away from my cat, but it died.  This one was pretty much alive, and did well.  I did some research, and found out that they actually hop out of the nest, and live on the ground, being fed by the parents, and even when they are able to fly, the parrents will continue, feeding them, until they are more adept at catching their own food, and then they are on their own.  Jake, could hover like a humming bird, and fly through the pass through, in the kitchen, and Florida room, and back through the sliding glass doors, and into the living room.  He flew up to the ceiling, and caught a little bug crawling there.  So I knew he would do alright. 8)

Wayne

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:23 pm »
Hey brother got ur sample...EXCELLENT!!!! If u need anything let me know... I appreciate u going out of ur way to let me experience a bit about ur self...deeply a nice gesture!!!
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!