Author Topic: Bear hunting  (Read 4707 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Bear hunting
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:36:34 pm »
What would you consider to be too light of a weight bow to use to hunt bear?  At what weights have you bear hunters used successfully?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Bear hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »
I would say #45 should do the trick. A lot of states require 45# for elk. If it is big enough for elk, it is big enough for bear. However, it also depends on what style of bear hunting you are planning. Hounding, spot and stock, baiting, or calling are completely different and the bow needs may vary. For calling, I want the biggest bow I am comfortable and accurate with.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »
Since we can not bait, my bear hunting will be sitting and waiting, maybe some stalking.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 07:54:49 pm »
i would never stalk a bear for fear of itattacking me....but i only hunt squirrels
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:57:43 pm »
 I sure wish I could stick the one that destroyed my new Pop-up blind this past week. >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »
youngbowyer, does that mean you wont be calling bears with me? Nothing like using a distress call so you are the wounded animal that they are comming to eat.  ;D

That is what blunts are for Eddie. I like the ones with the slightly concave front. You can stick a paintball to them to see where you hit.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:12:39 pm »
I would not try and shoot a bear with anything less than 55# at 28.. they are tough skinned and their hair is a real arrow stopper. I am no expert by any means, but would say that over kill is always better when hunting fellow predators.. and razor sharp points is a must for bears.... happy hunting... Hawk  a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Indiancharlie

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:15:58 pm »
Eddie, were you in the blind when the bear ripped it up??  :o  ::)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:16:57 pm »
normally i like to shoot 45-55
for bear i think i would condition myself for a heavy draw of atleast 65+#
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 09:50:04 am »
id go with a bout a 500 pound BALISTA from a treestand. ;D

i dont really have any predators to hunt down here (at least not the one's that wold like to eat me) so i would be terrified.

Eddie, you have BEARS over there?????
lets just shoot it

coyote pup

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 11:04:55 am »
I never have hunted bar, and probably never will, but if I ever did it wouldn't be anything less than what Hawk said, a good 55# for black, and I don't think I would bother with less than 70# if we're talking grizzly. You shoot a deer with a less than perfect shot or weight, you can still go home to tell about it, but a danged ol bar - I just don't wanna piss him off.  :o

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 02:23:28 pm »
 Charlie, I was going to get in it Saturday morning and found it flattened and wripped. A 100 yards behind my stand is a cypress tree the size of a telephone pole that looks like a cat scratching post. One of the other guy's had one come under his stand. Said it was the biggest Fl. bear he has ever seen, he said as big as my John Deere Gator.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 04:40:56 pm »
I would want some poundage, at least 55#-60# or more for a bear with a selfbow, and some heavy arrows-at least 600 grains or more, preferably. Like Mike said, they have thick hair plus a thick layer of fat. We were skinning a big old one once and a good handfull of .22 bullets and shotgun pellets fell out when we pulled the hide off, they had just penetrated the skin and got stuck in the fat layer. They don't die real easy with a .30/30-I've seen some shot bears come down a tree and take a few dogs with'em.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

coyote pup

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 04:57:31 pm »
Maybe we should take it from Geronimo. In "His Own Words" he says he has killed several cougar with a bow and one with a spear, but mentions only killing bear with a spear and doesn't say anything about a bow. I wonder what was the method most often used by other indian people.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 05:24:31 pm »
I've  never  killed a  bar yet  but my  2 cents
tough  dangerous  game  calls  for  heavier  bows, 60+  in  my  book
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.