Author Topic: my first oldowan chopper  (Read 6032 times)

Offline StevenT

Re: my first oldowan chopper
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 09:59:43 am »
I want on that trading wagon also!!!!!!  Man, how lucky can you get. Decide to try your hand at knapping and find out you have a flint quarry in your back yard. The rock gods are definitly smiling on you.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 10:02:46 am »
huh. well, no such luck here. back to dumpster diveing for vodka bottles.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »
lol  i will trade with who ever is wanting some rock the whole county is full of this stuff will start trading next week when i get back from the T.R.F i have a feeling there are alot of yall wanting  some so and if you are looking for hammer stones i am bound to find some. since i am new to this whole primitive hunting thing i hope to get some stuff to replace my modern hunting equipment i already have a nice recurve to hunt with but i have no wooden arrows no quiver and no wood to start making a self bow so keep that in mind for some trade items and one more thing i would love to have some already tanned fur on skunk pelts WITH TAILS :) so i can make my own quiver. well we will talk more on this next week in the trade threads ttyl and best of luck hunting this season  ;D

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline StevenT

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 04:11:30 pm »
Oh no. Hilllbilly, you better keep a close watch on your "kitty"!!!  >:D  :)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »
I think I can hook you up on some of those items you are looking for. ;)
message me when you are ready to trade.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 07:44:35 pm »
well the second try went better still having a problem thinning it down but the shape is much better lol i think i will try to heat this chert up abit maybe it will napp better  ttyl

sterling

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 07:53:08 pm »
Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Those pictures show you have some good platforms to thin from.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:17 pm »
tyvm nugget i have about 2 more weeks of the T.R.F doing blacksmithing and while i was there i ran into a flintknapper/bowyer who has a booth across from me man is he good at flintknapping  and he  has been teaching me some stuff on how to read the rocks so u know how the flake is going to run. but once the fair is over i will start to post some rock for trade for all who is interested ttys

Sterling 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:12 pm »
Good start there Sterling! Kinda resemble the Kerrville choppers I made awhile back. Good luck with the rock tradin ::) :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 09:51:26 pm »
thanx cowboy

Offline StevenT

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:19 pm »
Skyarrow,
Look like you are getting some good flakes off that stuff. I am just switching over to flint from glass and I am having trouble with thinning also. Especially with turtle backs (large humps). But I finally had one of those Aha moments. I was running flakes up off the hump, but it really wasn't thinning the piece. The flakes would go all the way to the top of the hump, but the piece would just get smaller and smaller and still have a nice hump. I could see the nice long flakes but could figure out what I was doing wrong. After making many of these nice little round turle humps it finally dawned on me. I was getting what I would call running flakes and not really thinning the piece because I did not have the platform below the center line. Once I realized this and moved the center line and set up a good platform, I was able to then get a flatter flake that actually did some thinning. If you find yourself making little turle backs, maybe this will help.

Keep whacking.... but I am still jealous you have all that material right out your back door! In many ways I wish I had started with rock instead of glass.