Author Topic: Cherry ELB  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Cherry ELB
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:39:07 pm »
Hi all, I recently bought a 5/4(1.25") x 6" x8' cherry board from a local mill work shop.  When I saw it, it looked like I might be able to make a self ELB (55#-65#) out of it.  I took a closer look at it tonight and now I'm not so sure.  I'm pretty sure I can chase down a ring, but I'm afraid it won't leave me with enough belly in a couple of spots.  What do you all think?  I'm leaning toward backing with calf rawhide, ash, or hickory.  I've backed with calf shin before, but never with wood.  I'd like to use the bow in about a months time, so I might choose the devil I know (calf skin), but I want to do a wood backing soon one way or another.  Of course if the consensus is that it an be a self then that is a mute point anyway.

Pardon my lack savvy, I did not know how to put type between pictures
I traced a ring with pencil, I hope it shows up.

Pic 1 is an end
Pic 2 is the other end (sorry out of focus, but I think you can still see the pencil line)
(All edge pics are from the left side of pica one)
Pic 3 is the whole edge, it snakes a fair amount
Pic 4 is one of the"low" spots that cause me concern
Pic 5 is a high spot, and i might just have to drop down one ring which would make pica 3 even worse
Pic 6 is another low spot, but not as bad as pica 3

Here are the pictures...I hope

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:55:30 pm by Swamp Bow »
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Swamp Bow

Re: Cherry ELB
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:52:42 pm »
More:

Back(of potential bow) pictures:

Pic 7 top
Pic 8 more
Pic 9 more
Pic 10 bottom
Pic 11 whole board back

Sorry for the mess in the studio, but it's better than in the workshop!  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:05:32 am »
i made one backed a few years ago got it to 32 lbs sucker went boom !!! later one i tried again backed it with hickory  much better luck this ones 62 lbs @ 28  after 2 years still shoots strong my advice  back it forget the calf skin  brock

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:16:07 am »
Go buy a hickory or maple board and use the rawhide to back it, then you will have a fighting chance of getting a shooter.
Black cherry is not a great bow wood, its very finicky if your set on using it then I would go with an ash of maple backing.
I especially don't think cherry is suitable for a ELB style bow, I would also keep the weight in the 50# range. Good luck eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:49:12 pm »
As Dana says!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:09:04 am »
Thanks guys,
  I was really hoping to be able to make selfbow out of this one, but you have confirmed that I really need to back it.  Oh well.  I'll get some hickory or ash to back it with.  Time to pull out the thickness planer and go at it.  People seem to have a love hate relationship with cherry... some people love it, other people hate it.  LOL  My last bow is a rawhide back maple flat bow, time to move on before I revisit that.  Thanks again.

Swamp

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:58:26 am »
If you use hickory for a backing keep it thin probably no more than 1/8" as it can and will overpower the belly.
I sure hope you succeed at this :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:00 am »
Thanks DanaM.  I was going to look up how thick to make the backing today (1/8" is what I thought it was), saved me the trouble.  Oh I'm 100% sure I will succeed at SOMETHING.  Not sure it will be a working bow yet.  Might be a pile of kindling, and we all need some kindling in our lives right?  LOL  I'll have fun and learn something new no matter what.  You know what they say, if it absolutely has to work out, buy one from somebody that knows what they are doing!

Swamp