Author Topic: Bad luck with Ipe  (Read 1848 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Bad luck with Ipe
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:25:01 pm »
Where do you guys get Ipe? I've only been able to find it one place locally and ordered once from an internet lumber place. The local place had only a couple pieces and the internet was "sight unseen". The rings were running off the sides on both.  I found another web lumber place that sells ipe decking, price looks OK.  Bottom line, I need to start over. If I back with boo, is the grain that important, and what else do you use to pick a good piece of stock? Also, do you worry about moisture content? 

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Bad luck with Ipe
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:20 pm »
The moisture in the board isn't a prob .. The grain run off if not to severe should not be a problem unless you are planing a lot of reflex..

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:57:10 pm »
When you go Ipe hunting take a flashlight and a rag. Wet the rag and wipe the board down and use the flashlight to see the grain. One 2x4x8' will give you a bunch of bows.

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:07:03 pm »
Are there any good sources other than lumberyards or decking places? I don't see archery supply stores carrying it like they do osage. 3rivers has some but it's all "kit" stuff.

roofus

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:55 am »
Try Ohio ;D  Also bcBull is a member on here. You might PM him

Rob

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:21:38 am »
Take a look at my web site in the classifieds here on PA..

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 03:40:37 pm »
Thanks, my computer was on a work stoppage strike till just now- I assume Ohio is a member here and not the state. Again, if backing like boo is used, can the rings run off and still be usable?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »
You can get away with a lot of runoff if you back it with bamboo. I have used some Osage that had over 50% runoff in about 6 inches and a knot in that 6 inches to go along with it. It made a pretty nice bow once it was backed with boo. I have never see Ipe that bad, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I did.  That was the long answer, the short answer is "use what you've got." Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah