Author Topic: Re/De nock question  (Read 1537 times)

Grunt

Re/De nock question
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:10:24 pm »
I have been starting to play with reflex/deflex bamboo backed bows and i have a question about tip width. Standard rule of thumb on my straight bows has been to narrow the last 8" or so of the limb to reduce mass to give the bow some snap, tip width a little under 1/2" . I keep thinking if I do this with a re/de I might get the tips twisting because of higher initial string tension. I have been keeping the re/de tips a little under 5/8 and only narrowing the last 3" or so. Is this right?  Also what purpose do tip overlays play in this?

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Re/De nock question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:22:55 pm »
Grunt you are doing fine by just tapering the last few " If you are not putting allot of reflex deflex in you can taper more than that.. If you are going for a highly R/D bow I leave the tips 1/2" until it is almost completely tillered out then taper them down to your liking.. You will find that the more of them you do the smaller your tips will get.. ;).. I would recommend that before you shoot one of them put the tip overlays on! if you don't you run the risk of splitting the side of the string grove with the string..
David

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:31 pm »
Shouldn't have any problems taking them down a bit more.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:55:28 pm »
Thanks,guys. Tip overlays are going on tomorrow AM.