Author Topic: Ash Selfbow ALB  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
Ash Selfbow ALB
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:54:57 pm »
Well, Howdy Group,

Lately, I have been trying to complete some projects rather than start new projects…

This bow, I put together for a friend.  It’s a White Ash, Self Bow, ALB (with a stiff handle).

45# @ 29-1/2”

Length: 70-1/2”

Limb Width: 1-1/2” to the outer 12” where it is tapered twice to its 3/8” tips

Non-working Handle: centered on bow, 1-1/16” wide, 1-1/2” thick, 4” long with 2” fades

The upper limb is unique in that it has a knot near the outer limb.  I worked around the knot, leaving it 1-3/4” wide to prevent it from breaking.

The bow has wooden tip over-lays, an antler arrow rest, and a black leather strip wrapped around the handle, (plus, that unique upper limb).

Originally, I intended this bow to be about 52# @ 29-1/2”, but I ended up having to re-tiller it to round out the limbs a little more.  (I’m still not sure if the tiller is ok? Or, is it still too hinged near the inner limb?)

Your comments (especially on my tillering) are welcomed.

All the Best,
Canoe

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Ash Selfbow ALB
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »
Yeah, it could bend a little more through the mid-limbs, especially on the right side (but I realize that's where that big knot is.) Overall, looks pretty good, though. How's it shoot?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:54:04 pm »
Man, you guys are CRITICS!. This is a wonderful bow. And bookmarked for Oct Self BOM fun, too >:D
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:42:00 am »
I'm with Hillbilly, you may could have got it bending more closer to the knot and stiff at the knot to the tips as you have it. Good job though, difficult tillering with the knot involved.  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:15:26 am »
Nothing wrong with that bow bet it shoots just fine :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:48 am »
Don, not trying to be a critic, just responding to:
Your comments (especially on my tillering) are welcomed.
That's how I learned a lot from these guys when I was starting out back years ago. It's for sure a good looking bow, with some cool character.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TBod

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 11:07:59 am »
Tempere it where it bends to much, Left limb near the handle, right limb a couple more inches from the handle. See what happends, you will not loose any weight, rather gain a little.

I'm just beginner my self but I have done that at similar situations.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 11:55:55 am »
Howdy Group,

Yes, it sure does look as though it is bending too much close to the handle and seems to, almost, flatten out by mid-limb.  (This is easier to see from the picture than from directly off the tillering tree.)

This is my second Ash Selfbow from recent months, and the first one ended up with a similar tiller. - Actually, I went and re-tillered that first bow so it would bend a little more evenly though the limbs length.  That first bow took on a lot of set, so now, I'm considering flipping the tips a little to help with string angle.  (Now, I'm wondering if I should follow TBod's advice and give both of these bows a heat treatment (temper) to see what would happen?)

BTW, I haven't shot this bow much at all yet.  I'll do so today.

Thanks for your comments / advise,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey