Author Topic: A little Hickory Pyramid Action  (Read 6931 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Re: A little Hickory Pyramid Action
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 08:29:02 am »
That is a nice bow. I really like your tiller. Hickory is an all around good bow wood. Tough to beat. Dean

coyote pup

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 08:58:07 am »
Very impressive bow with an excellent tiller! Doesn't look like it's taking any set whatsoever. Did you heat treat it, besides the reflex in the bottom limb maybe?

lungbuster

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 09:13:16 am »
nmice looking bow there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TBod

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 09:46:34 am »
Perfect in every aspect!!

Did you use the Mass principle when making it?

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 10:04:21 am »
Simple and effective is the best in my opinion.  I like the color of the finish and tiller look great!  Good job man!!!
CHEERS!!!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 01:01:15 pm »
That's one I admire - well done!
1’—>1’

roofus

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »
Thanks guys for the nice compliments.

I'm pulling this bow to 28'', forgot to post at the top.

Rob:
I don't mind at all. The bow is just under 1 3/4 at the fades with a straight taper to 7/16 at the tips.

Thanks for the info. Again, I love it!!!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 02:27:31 pm »
Thats one nice looking bow..

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 02:56:53 pm »
Very elegant! Nice warm looking finish, and that tiller is one of those that makes me say "aahhhhh."
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 03:11:48 pm »
Nice job.  Good looking bow.

Offline gmc

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 06:37:55 pm »
Boy, you guys are too kind! Thanks again for all the nice compliments fellas.

Coyote:
This is my fourth selfbow so I'm still feeling my way around. I do recommend a good heat treat for Hickory, maybe even a couple during the tillering process but this stave had so much tension reflex off one limb that I struggled trying to keep a balance and end up with a decent draw-weight. I heated the lower limb quite a bit just off the handle trying to balance the limbs. That's all it got. I may regret not heat treating later on, but its a live and learn thing. Adding a heat treat session would have only raised the draw-weight a bit and require more wood removal. It just didn't happen with this one. For a low set Hickory bow, have you ever tried a 6.5% moisture content before you start? I think having a good understanding of the question could mean more than the answer.

Rob:
Sorry, the tips are 5/16. I could have side tillered those down a bit at the end but wasn't thinking. I will try to remember that on the next one.

Tbod:
I really don't know how to utilize Steve's MP, but I have been looking at it more as a reference when I'm done. My TB4 is loaned out right now so how'd I do? I did leave more meat in the handle area on this one with the tips a little wide, it may be a tad heavy.

Thanks again, guys. Greg

Central Kentucky

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 08:13:58 pm »
I do like your bow a lot. Great finish and color. Simple is good.The handle wrap just looks right.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 03:07:28 am »
I built a really nice little t/d hickory flatbow in 1997 while I lived in Kotzebue Alaska = low MC.  Hunted back home in Ohio and killed a couple deer with it bout was only home for one week.  Moved to Texas several years later Houston = high MC bow droped 15 lbs and took a set.  Moved back to Alaska didn't shoot bow for several years set left bow gained ALL its former draw wt.  Moral of story Hickory works great in dry controlled conditions not first choice for two week bear hunt in S.E. Alaska

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TBod

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 03:55:51 am »
I'd used it as a reference to, thats the only way to use it I guess.

If you have a 8" handle and fade your bow should weigh 22 ounce, 6" handle and fade then 21 ounce, according to the mass principle.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:14:26 am by TBod »

Offline gmc

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 05:02:08 am »
TBod:
I use a 1.5'' fade with a 4'' handle. Sounds like I might be a little heavy on this one. Thanks for the response.

Granite Mtn:
It looks like your having fun in the photo. Bear hunting with a bow seems like the perfect test for a mans equipment and skills to use it.

I haven't completely made my mind up on Hickory yet. I haven't worked with it long enough to really draw any conclusions but I agree, climate is everything using the wood. The high tension properties of Hickory are appealing but its appetite for moisture is not. I currently have other woods to work on but thought I'd stay with Hickory long enough to understand it a little better.  I do have some Ash that I can't seem to bring myself around to with some Osage waiting for the skill level to come up a bit before I start looking for growth rings.
Central Kentucky