Author Topic: About time I got a Camera  (Read 1589 times)

Offline medievalhamster

About time I got a Camera
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:48:17 am »
Well, these are 2 bows I've finished thus far (3 more in the works!). Hadn't loaded 'em since I had no access to a digital camera.

The first pic is a red oak board bow, finished this one up about a month ago. It's 68" TtT, 67.5" NtN, draws 45#@28" and has a boiled linseed finish. The riser and nock overlays are both white oak I scrounged out of the burn pile. I like the feel of this bow a lot and hope to soon finish up some arrows I've started and hopefully become proficient with the set before archery deer season is over.

The black bow was my first go at it, finished this one about last April. It's a red oak board bow. 72" TtT, 71" NtN, draws 65#@30" and it has a burlap backing which is why I painted it black cuz that stuff is UGLY. Went over that with a few coats of clear coat. It ain't a beauty by any means but I don't think it turned out half bad for a first try.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:55:31 am by medievalhamster »
Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline chessieboy

Re: About time I got a Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:18:09 am »
They look a-symetrical or is that the camera angle.  Either way the look nice.  Thats also an unusual grip in the string, is that more comfortable for you than with your hand turned inward?

Shadow Walker

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:28:05 am »
yea, I've never seen a draw like that before. but then, I only found out about shooting with a thumb ring recently.
Is there a signifigance to it or is it personal preferance?
The bows look good and you did better than I did on my first board bow. It was maple and I broe it just trying to string it!

Offline medievalhamster

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:33:06 am »
Yeah, that's the camera angle that makes it look funny. I'd take more but the owner of the camera has left the building so I'm out of luck right now.

As per the grip, it just feels better that way. I can draw the 'normal' way but prefer my way with bows over 30#, it just feels weird to do so otherwise. The thing I really prefer is that I can draw to the ear without the possibility of the string slapping my face. That, and with the back of my hand against my face it's a more stable anchor point. Just a personal thing, I can still hit what I'm aiming at so I don't see a need to change it.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:44:31 am »
Congrats on your bows, very nice for a first and second :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:24:16 am »
Good Job on ur bows ...all that matters is that they work..as per that draw u got...never seen that before but to each their own Im not sure ud be able to pull a heavy bow say 65plus lbs. with ur hand turned inward like that... congrats on ur bows keep up the good work!!!
CHEERS!!!