Author Topic: First Deer Ever !!!!! (Now with a couple of pics.)  (Read 13502 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
First Deer Ever !!!!! (Now with a couple of pics.)
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:46:28 am »
Short version:  I shot my first deer yesterday afternoon.  This is my first with any equipment.  It was a button buck taken with a bow that I made from a KnightD blank (Knight train) and a tonkin arrow that I made (one of the ones that I posted a bit back).  I shot it at about 10yds from a tree stand. I hit a bit far back in the liver but it was quartering away so it hit the lungs and clipped the heart.  It only went about 25 yds from where I shot it.  I'll try to get a pic up if I can figure out how to get it off my friends camera.

Long version:  I got in the tree about 4 PM.  Nothing until about 5:30 then I heard a bunch of crashing on my upwind side.  5 deer came in including a big doe, her two fawns (just out of spots).  A button buck and a smaller doe about 1 1/2 yrs old.  The big doe gave me a perfect shot but I couldn't do it.  I guess I'm too soft, just couldn't shoot her with her kids watching. :-\  So she got a bit downwind of me and knew something was up.  She was looking in all the trees but never really got a fix on me so they all eventually took off.  Not really busted,  no snorting or stomping but they just all got wary and wandered off.  Then I was pissed at myself for not taking the shot.  About 10 minutes later a Northern Harrier (small hawk) landed in a dead white oak about 6 ft away from me and just stared right at me.  It was the coolest thing.  We looked at each other for about 2 mins or so, then he took off peacefully.  I was thinking "what a great night, who cares if I even get a deer at this point".  No sooner than he took off I heard some movement behind me.  I slowly peaked around and it was a 6 pt, with two button bucks.  The 6 pt never gave me a safe shot so as soon as one of the other ones gave me a clean shot I took it.  It was quartering away about 10ys or so.   When I hit it I though "OH S#*t.  I just shot a deer.  They all took off and eventually the 6 and the other button came right past my tree going back to where they came from.  I sat and waited for what seemed like a lifetime.  About 20 mins later I got out of the tree walked to where I though it was.  And much to my amazement, there it was about 25 yds or so from where I shot it. I ended up clipping the liver, going through the lungs, and clipping the heart.  I swear that hawk was telling me something. ;) Thanks to all, for sharing their knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:25:03 pm by ricktrojanowski »
Traverse City, MI

Offline chasing crow

Re: First Deer Ever !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:04:09 am »
Cool story Rick. I am glad you had such a great hunt. And your first deer with primitive bow, it probably can't get much better. Enjoy your steaks!
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:57:17 am »
Congrats Rick, sounds great and that hawk must have been an omen for you :)

I had a dog come in the other night, no deer so I think the dog was a bad omen :( Hmm wonder how dogs taste ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:46:03 am »
Good job and congratulation
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:52:36 am »
Good Job! The hawk was good medicine!  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:28:05 am »
Way to go Rick. I can only imagine how good it feels. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:00:10 am »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Super cool. good medicine.
Nice hunt. and congrads!
w
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:34:05 am »
That's awesome Rick!  You've accomplished a very difficult thing....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:52:44 am »

I had a dog come in the other night :( Hmm wonder how dogs taste ;D

Ask the Koreans or Chineese....they are still the Top Dog Eaters in the World! Must not be bad....or they are really Hungry!!

The Plains Indian purposely fattened up their Dogs for a Reserve Food Supply for Hard Times... So by Late Winter when supplies of Veggies were gone or spoiled and Meat was getting sparse....Here Doggie Doggie......... >:D  Among the Tribes that ate Dog were Souix... Omaha...Chippewa...Cheyenne...Pawnee....Arikara....Hidatsa ..... Assiniboin...and Yokut.....so even here in American....Dog was on the Menu too........... ;D

Oh....Good Shooting Rick....welcome to the Club now......... ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:02:18 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »
Way to go Rick,sounds like a great hunt.Lookin' forward to the pictures.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline nocams

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:49:52 pm »
Rick, congrats !!! Did you use a stone point too ? Pics please ? If I can do it you can too !

Jimmy & Mason

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 01:04:52 pm »
Rick, congrats !!! Did you use a stone point too ? Pics please ? If I can do it you can too !

Jimmy & Mason

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,14439.msg200362.html#msg200362
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline boo

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 02:19:59 pm »
Man, your first deer ever? and with primitive gear, How cool is that? Im very happy for ya.
Boo

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 02:24:11 pm »
Great job brother... I usually always see hawks when I hunt..they are good medicine for me also.. congratulations on your first harvest.... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline lowell

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 02:30:12 pm »
Very happy for you...Congrats!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!