Author Topic: First Deer Ever !!!!! (Now with a couple of pics.)  (Read 13504 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: First Deer Ever !!!!! (Now with a couple of pics.)
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 12:26:14 pm »
Great story Rick!!
And congratulations!!! 8)

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

radius

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54:34 pm »
I just shot my first deer ever, too, Rick, and i had the very same thought as you, "Oh S*&t, i just shot a deer."  Shot him on the ground, from no more than 15 feet away, with a 4-bladed 125 on carbon shaft, using a yew longbow i just finished.  I was able to stalk that close to him!  As soon as i loosed the arrow, the buck bounded away.  I am sorry to say i could not find it.  It still bothers me.  I had bad dreams that night of wounded animals.  One was a huge horse with my arrow poking out of his shoulder!  Another was my buck but with a whole pile of my arrows in it.  Another, of all my arrows stuck in a post off the property.

Next time.  You did good, buddy.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »
Radius
That is impressive, stalking to 15 feet.  I'm sorry you couldn't find him, but I think that is an unfortunate part of this , that we all will face at some point.   I still have doubts that I can do it again.  I'm in hopes that I get another chance just to prove to myself that it wasn't a fluke.  Keep at it and good luck.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 11:13:03 pm »
I guess I must be the Luckiest Person on this Earth....because besides the Gutshot Doe that was my first Deer Kill...that We tracked till Dark...and went back the Next day till We found her.....I have never had A Deer go more that 60 yards with Bow...Pistol ....or Rifle....I am not one to take an Iffy Shot....If I am not sure that I can...I pass...and that is hard to do sometimes too! I only Hunt with Pistol or Bow any more...and I have never been Happier!

Rick...I am sure that You can do it over again....I would bet it wasn't a Fluke....Shooting Target is Hard....getting everything to fall into place with a Live deer walking Your Way...is unbelievably Harder!! And You did it.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

salad days

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:43 pm »
Man Rick, That is sweet! I've heard of 'ground growth' before but I've never seen 'barn growth'! :o ;D. Nice deer. I think I'm now the world's greatest deer repellent.

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 09:42:22 pm »
Thanks Aaron, Maybey you are MI's version of the "WGDR"  but I got the east coast title wrapped up. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:24 pm »
Hey Rick glad you finaly gotR done! Feel free to move down here to Mo.,could use more guys like you.Got a story for ya,was hunting with Koan,using a bow he made me for my B-day,shot a slick head from the ground and then while good buddy Koan is helping locate,he gets tripped up in downed tree top,and falls across his quiver and breaks his cane arras. So now I feel bad and guess I need to use the tonkin you sent  for replacements. :o
laugh. its good for ya

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15:19 pm »
Congrats on your deer, sounds like you will be putting that cane to good use.  That is a funny story.  I'll have to check out Mo.  I have a feeling that if I ended up down there all we would make is empty beer bottles.  ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 11:08:04 am »
Dude! Thats one of the things that makes life good!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Jesse

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 11:08:30 pm »
Great story Rick. congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I remember my first. I spined it so it dropped right there and I was like what just happened I can't believe I got one. Mine was also a nubby. I actually prefer to shoot them over full size deer  ;) Easy to handle and the best meat you could ask for.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 01:47:43 pm »
Now you've done it , you're ruined for life. ;) How many points on him- thought I counted 14.Great "enhancement" job- fooled me till i looked again!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:58:24 pm by ShinneryOak »