Author Topic: Question on Maple types/IDing them.  (Read 1684 times)

Offline dogleg

Question on Maple types/IDing them.
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:01:15 am »
I'm pretty good at identifying most types of wood, but have never had a reason to get beyond, "Yep, that's a maple."  Can anyone tell me the visable differences between hard maple and the soft ones (the trees, not the wood)?  Does 'vine' maple even grow in Wisconsin, were I'm looking?  Any pics you have would be a help (me likey pictures  ;D)

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline DanaM

Re: Question on Maple types/IDing them.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:13:12 am »
VM grows in the Pacific Northwest none in WI. Hard maple will generally have a a more scaly, rough bark than red or norway maple.
The leaves on hard maple also have 5 smooth edged lobes and look like the Canadian Mapleleafs(hockey team) logo. Sorft(red) maple leaves will have 3 to 5 lobes and edges are serrated. On norway maple leaves if you
break the stem the sap with be milky, norway maple leaves can be green of red like in peoples yards. All types of maple will make a good bow
with hard maple being better than soft

Here's a link to a website http://dnr.wi.gov/forestry/treeid/comnameindx.htm

and a couple of pictures First is Hard(Sugar) maple
second is soft(Red) maple

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »
heres another site that has great photos and close ups of the leaves and bark.

http://dcwi.com/~bmills/trees/trees.htm

Offline dogleg

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 01:04:40 am »
Thanks guys,

Figured you guys would know, right off the tops of your heads.  And thanks for the pics, makes things that much simpler, knowing what they look like, rather than a verbal description.  Lots of pics, and small words.  You guys been talking to my wife? ;D

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.