Author Topic: sinew bowstring  (Read 1631 times)

Offline luke the drifter

sinew bowstring
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:35:13 pm »
if there is anyone in this community that has ever worked with sinew(deer/elk backstrap) in  making a bowstring, i would like to know about how many backstraps it would take to make a sinew bowstring.  i am aware of the pros and cons with sinew but would like to know anyway.

Offline sailordad

Re: sinew bowstring
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »
actuallty there are few on here that have done it that i know of
i believe if you do a search,there was a build along on a sinew string awhile back
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:08:15 am »
I usually use leg sinew, but have made good 2 and 3 ply strings from 1 large whitetail or elk backstrap made into fine fibers

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:06:57 am »
RickT is the sinew bowstring guy, one or two good sized whitetail backstrap sinew is plenty :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:08:44 am »
I've made a few out of whitetail backstrap sinew.  Usually I figure 2 sinew per string, although I usually only use about 1 1/2 but this gives me more than enough processed fibers.  This way I don't have to stop to process more.  Jackcrafty has a great how to on making a sinew string in the Buildalong/How to section.  
Traverse City, MI