Author Topic: what wonderful stuff from wonderfull people  (Read 2371 times)

Offline sailordad

what wonderful stuff from wonderfull people
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:44:26 pm »
recently i showed interest in some rock that someone had for trade,but as i am from mn and we dont have much of any thing worth knapping.
i didnt have anything to trade him.
well we communicated via pm's and being the nice guy that he is he sent me some stuff.
now i know most around here have access to rock and probably wouldnt get as excited as i do when i can get my hands on some rock.
now i have only been knapping since january this year,taught my self how to pressure flake and work slabs to start with.
went to my first knapp in back in february,my second in august.in august i bought some rock and proceeded to destroy a fair amount teaching myself how to spall
dont know if can really do that as of yet,but i do manage a nice one here and there.
then i started to teach my self how to percussion knapp.WOW did i go thru what little rock stash that i had.
so when i came home from work today and seen this flat rate box on my back step,well i felt like it was my b-day or something and its not.
well i tore into it and man oh man i thought cooool look at all this rock i can play with now.

then i proceeded to empty and inspect. i found lots of rock pieces,some busted bifaces etc.i will do my best to make as many points and blades as possible with this stuff.

dont ask me what kind of rock it is as i do not know.i just know it all looks knappable.as i was digging it all out i found a couple of points in there too.
i was shocked.cool these are the first points i have that were not made by my hands and these will go and stay in my collection.

well he did ask that i keep on knapping and post pics of points that i make from it.
so as soon as i got it all organized,i grabbed a piece and started whacking away.
this is the piece i started with.

and after and hours worth of whacking away at it this is what i came up with.
it was done with percussion,and pressure flaking just for the edge and to remove a couple of stacked hinges

i couldnt get it thinner in the middle as there is afair amount of concret there and i had a hell of a time trying to get rid of hinge in
the concrete earlier and didnt want to risk destroying the piece all together.
took it to friends house to show him the point along with my new car,left the point there by accident.i hope hes willing to give it back.

well i just thought i would share with ya all
and would like to say thanks to leapingbear (jesse),without your generosity i would nt be knapping right now

thanks for looking                                                            peace,
                                                                                          tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: what wonderful stuff from wonderfull people
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:40:05 am »
very nice gesture. now go knap and enjoy. This group of people are some of the best.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:19:27 am »
these are some of the most generous people on earth.
lets just shoot it

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 01:57:09 am »
these guyz are the best hands down always willing to help and no matter how bad some of my stuff is i get nothing but praise CHEERS TO ALL THE GOOD PA MEMBERS U KNOW WHO U ARE!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:20:04 am »
I hear ya on not having any local rock Tim >:( I also have been the beneficiary of folks generousity and I think I've also
passed the favors on to others, thats what makes this group special :)
Nice looking rock Tim and a good point ya made too :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:06:51 am »
yup
cant help but like people like those on here,all are such kond and generous folks.

Dana,yes you too have already been there for me.you and  Eldestructo both have senrt me wood when i was without.
which was greatly appeciated,and i will be happy to do the same to others when i can.

its stuff like this that makes this the bestest site and the bestest peoples around ;D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:35:39 am »
Sailor Get on ur canoe and row to newyork I need some of thos spalls!!!! ;)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:27:42 am »
:)
 Man i put all sorts ah stuff in there, Obsidian , KY blue , Riolite , TX , coastal plans , Buffalo river.. i don't know what all the broken bi-faces are just grabbed a hand full of erm outa my knappin area and tossed erm in.
 Cool point. i think that was raw Tx you knapped that one outa.

oh, the two points arnt finished.. i think there failed Clovis points.. they still need a edge put on erm.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:31:14 am by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 02:40:37 pm »
Jesse is very giving...I've been on the receiving end of his generosity on several occasions.

Nice point by the way!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...