Author Topic: whiskey bottle points  (Read 2456 times)

Offline recurve shooter

whiskey bottle points
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:04:48 pm »
hi guys. i got out my knapping stuff today and made myself a new rabbit point and a tiny little bird point that i'll probably never use. im getting much better. larger, thinner, sharper points. the flakes usually went to the center of the piece, which makes the edges taper down smothly from the middle, instead of the previous flat sides whith sudden dropoffs to form a crude edge. if my memory serves me, these are about the 8th and 9th points i have made. the little point actually has a right hand bevel on it, which is cool. right hand bevel like a steel point. thanks for all of yall's help and advice. enjoy, tell me what yall think.  ;D

the two points, side by side.

the little bird point on my index finger

the bigger point laying on my quiver

my pittifull close up of the big one

the edge of the big one, pretty thin.

edge of the small one

a random pic of my cajun sister

lets just shoot it

Shadow Walker

Re: whiskey bottle points
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »
I know nothing about knapping, and knapping glass sounds a little dangerous! Good job!
I can offer one very good piece of advise though. If your going to use whiskey bottles, always remember...You CAN'T go wrong with Jack Daniels!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:25:05 pm »
agreed.  ;D

the glass behaves verry similar to obsidian, just a heck of alot easyer to find.
lets just shoot it

chance

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:34:26 pm »
Good stuff RS ! I tried my hand at making a whiskey bottle point last week. I had a heck of a time. That clear glass really made it hard to see where the flakes come off, but it was fun.  I have about one more night on a 1/2 gallon of Evan Williams (four big flat sides, plus the bottom on those bottles !) and I'm gonna try it again, hopefully with better results. :-[

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:35:41 pm »
man i like it. if you abrade the edges it powders them up a little and makes them easyer to see.
lets just shoot it

chance

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:05 pm »
Hmmm,. maybe it was  the whiskey then
 There's a flint knapping class over at Cahokia Mounds tomorrow about an hour and a half from me. I'm sure I'll learn alot there. Maybe even get my hands on some rock. Can't wait

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
   RS, those are some nice points.  Are you using copper or abo tools?  How long have you been knapping?
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:45:20 pm »
  RS, those are some nice points.  Are you using copper or abo tools?  How long have you been knapping?

im a beginner, so im useing copper. i started learning to knap in late july from the compleatly wrong advice of my friend, and didnt figure out the simi-right way to do it till bout a month or so ago. those were point # 8 and 9. thanks for the replies guys.
lets just shoot it