Author Topic: Weak hand drill drills?  (Read 6348 times)

Offline Kegan

Weak hand drill drills?
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:56:39 am »
I've burned my horseweed drill down to about 13", too short for me to get a coal. I've been trying some mullien I had, as well as a piece of cattail a friend found a while ago- neother of which are hardy.

Any tricks to getting a coal with such soft drills? I usually crush the point with too much pressure. I've tried elm, aspen, silver maple, sassafras, and cherry for the board with the same outcome each time. It's frustrating :P.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Weak hand drill drills?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:58:13 pm »
Kegan, I have seen compound drills with the working end added to the shaft. When it wears down, another end is added. You might try this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 03:23:12 pm »
thats a good idea. like athick piece of cane with basically a foreshaft of the good spindle wood, dont have to find a long stright piece everytime and you have a spindle you can get used to, in your hand.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:05:48 pm »
Use Willow! Willow is excellent for hand drills and for the board. lf you cannot find a good straight sturdy branch for you're drill do what Pat said, lash a short drill bit outta willow to you're longer more durable spindle. l have done before and it works pretty good,
l've also used cattail before and that works fine but as you have found out its easier to break. 

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:53:30 pm »
like they said haft it up to a longer drill. most of the boards you mentioned are to dense for cattail. willow , like mentioned ,will work good. but willow root is even better. look along the banks of a river or for one that is tipped over. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 06:11:48 am »
I use mullien quite a bit, I like to use it with white cedar, and leave the board on the thick side closer to 3/8" thick.  Go for lighter pressure and expect more spinning time but don't really bear down on the drill.  I've tried cattail but i usually end up crushing the drill.  I hope to get it soon.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:45:02 pm »
Thanks everyone! I did spliced drills before, but only with a sort of "footing", a cross cut like on single edge arrow footings.

Any ideas what I could use for bits on a compound drill?

As for willow, I'll take a bike ride up the road and see what I can get my hands on.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 12:57:40 pm »
If you like horseweed use it.  seems like you should try different some new material. The roses work great for me. Black rassberry. Just try different stuff.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:03:29 pm »
I've successfully used cattail with poplar and Paulownia boards. Evening primrose, yucca, and goldenrod work pretty well, too. Still haven't found anything better than horseweed, though.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 01:12:23 pm »
If you like horseweed use it.  seems like you should try different some new material. The roses work great for me. Black rassberry. Just try different stuff.

The trouble with horseweed is finding it. I gther it along the side of the road around here, but sometimes they aren't in the same place.

I'll have to try rose though, we have a good bit of wild rose types around here. think I have a piece I tried to make into some arrows around here somehwere.

Thanks everyone :)

stickmonkey

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 09:27:13 am »
Mulefat < the plant hehe> is a favorite where it can be found and has been used to set the hand drill records for fastest coals. I am not sure if there is another name for it.