Author Topic: Howdy, and advice on a long term project  (Read 4205 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Howdy, and advice on a long term project
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:05:11 pm »
Don't think I've posted here before but this is probably the place to ask most of these questions. I want to start a project to build a complete hunting kit entirely from what I can harvest off my hunting land. Ultimately I want to take a deer with that outfit from the same land. I'd like to do clothes too but would need a lot of hides. The main problems I see are the bowstring and the points. (I'm not a knapper-yet.)  The land is in far Western Oklahoma. There is plenty of sandstone but not much else. In fact, we've had a couple of small archaeological digs there through Univ. of Okla. that turned up "boiling rocks " used by the NA's and they were from miles away. Anyone know of knappable rock deposits in the area?   Thought of looking near North Fork of Red River. For the string would you recc. sinew, rawhide, or a fiber? I've made strings from flax thread but not the others. Any help appreciated.

Offline mrkinsey

Re: Howdy, and advice on a long term project
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:22:46 pm »
Very good strings can be made from rawhide, but make sure the width is even.  The string is only as strong as its weakest point. 

You can make arrowheads out of bone.  Shape, and sharpen.  Haft, and secure.  Just don't breath in the dust!  Wear a face mask, and shape/sharpen in a well ventilated area, if not outside.  Antler also makes a decent arrowhead, though it is difficult to get to a legal width sometimes (most states have a requirement of at least 7/8 inch, and some have material requirement).  Have fun!
There is always Hope.

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:31:38 pm »
mrkinsey, thanks, I've found some tutorials on bone points now. Do you use deer rawhide? I think squirrel rawhide is supposed to be best but no squirrels that I've seen out there except my brother in law.  :) Plenty of armadillos, possums, coons, coyotes and bobcats. Skunks too. Don't suppose any of those are good for strings.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:03:34 am »
ground animals (prairie dog , woodchuck, groundsquirrells) make the strongest strings but any hide will make a string just need to go thicker. dont forget intestine makes an excellent string too. for plant strings i prefer dogbane and milkweed over the others. thats what i have available though , flax nettle and yucca are excellent though. good luck on your quest. its a great journey. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »
Thanks Jamie, I'm planning a varmint reduction campaign which should give me raw material. Also counting on the gun hunters we have as guests to contribute some this year.