Author Topic: Tips  (Read 5804 times)

CodyCoyote

Tips
« on: October 11, 2009, 11:31:00 am »
what is a good tip i can use for squirrels that will kill them quickly out of a 45# bow? I would like it to be easy not to lose the arrows as well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tips
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:35:15 am »
The cheapest, most effective I have used is called a "nutter". It is a common hex nut from a hardware store, screwed on the tapered end of your wood arrow. Get a nut that will screw on the taper with about 1/2" of the taper sticking out for penetration. The nut supplies the shock factor. I add a drop of super glue to the threads and the tapered end sticking out of the nut. The nuts will cost you about $.15 each!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:43:34 am »
That is one nut the squirrel will not like. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

CodyCoyote

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:45:13 pm »
can i see a picture of the " nutter?"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 03:59:45 pm »
Here you go, Cody. On one of them the very point broke off past the nut  but it still has the shock power.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:42 pm »
Them there nutters work great on bushytails, but they really tear up a bird feeder if ya miss  ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 05:40:23 pm »
don't miss!  ;D   
Yea, they are great on squirrels. Probably rabbits too.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 11:35:38 am »
Them there nutters work great on bushytails, but they really tear up a bird feeder if ya miss  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Those nutters work good, as do empty shell casings. I've killed a few critters with cane arrows wearing a .30/06 or 7.62 case with the neck cut off, knocks them for a loop. I wouldn't try it with a lightweight bow, but they work good out of bows in the 50-60# range with a heavy arrow. They tumble like a judo when they hit the ground, don't slide under leaves, or stick in tree limbs (or bird feeders.) They'll go through a cedar bird feeder, though,. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 12:07:39 pm »
 A .38 casing works real good, also. I drill a small whole through two sides and stick a stiff piece of piano wire through both sides and glue it on with JB Weld.Kinda like a cheap Judo point.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 03:19:17 pm »
I use nutters or 38 special casings.

For nutters you can get the locking nut type that has the nylon ring on the inside, one of the ones pat showed looks like a lock nut, these have a little bit more metal on the front, gives you a bit more mass.

For 38 casings i put a few small split shot in the casign them mash it to the bottom with a bolt that is just the right size, you can match your casings this way to the same weight as your field points, broadheads, etc.

45# at 27"

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 02:46:44 pm »
I'm going to try these next year.http://www.mcmaster.com/#tee-nuts/=4yj2nv

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 02:55:29 pm »
I'm going to try these next year.http://www.mcmaster.com/#tee-nuts/=4yj2nv

Just don't buy the from there.   Usually $$$  Great reference catalogue though.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline canidsong

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:09:09 pm »
They're a great place to buy stuff you can't find other places, but even then, wait and combine orders if you can to save on shipping.

You wouldn't want to buy from them something you could find at OSH or the Home Despot.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 08:49:21 pm »
Oh yeah, of you can't get it else where, they are great.  Also if you need it RIGHT NOW, they together with Grainger are go to places, you just pay for what you get.  For those T-nuts, I'd try Fastenal or equivalent first.  I think Lowes/Home Depot carries them too.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:43:53 pm »
 My office has an account with Granger and a nut and bolt warehouse. I might have to go check out some cataloges tomorrow. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?