Author Topic: Cholla Cactus  (Read 10153 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Cholla Cactus
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:39:08 pm »
OK....I went out this Weekend instead of Deer Hunting....I went out and Hunted Cholla Cactus....it's not an easy thing to do either.....You have to Harvest it after it has been Dead for at least a Year....this way most of the Thorns and Heartwood are gone....the closer to a Skeleton the Better...but You have to get it before the Moulds and Fungus get to it.... I got a good three Backpacks of the Stuff....and now I have to fin the Time to Powerwash it all ....and go through it and see what is good and what will be Firewood....If anyone is interested in Trades here in a week or so....let me know....as soon as I can....

I will post Pictures of the Wood I have personally handpicked for Knife Handles....and some will be good for Disply Pedestals for Knives and such also....the Uses are pretty much limited to the Imagination....

I have used it for Handles on Knives...Barbecue Utensils....Screwdrivers....and I use it for Stands for all of my Knives....I even use some in my Aquariums for my small African Cichlids to hide their Babies in when they are Free Swimming!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dano

Re: Cholla Cactus
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:57:42 pm »
The Cholla out here is hard to find, in usable form, but we don't get near the rain ya'all get so no mold. I like the idea for using it in a fish tank, Thanks El D.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:20:07 pm »
We don't get too much Rain Here either....lately it's been about 11-14 inches ....but the Norm is between 14-19 inches a Year....but it mostly comes with the Hot weather....which lets the Molds and Fungus's get a bite of it... If you can get a Truck that is 4-6 inches in Diameter....they make great Aquarium Exhibits....and the Fish love them
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:37:11 am »
Dano, try looking in one of the recent burn areas. The way the fire goes through the cheat grass it kills the cholla but doesn't damage the structure. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:54:49 am »
You Guys have Pencil Cholla not the Big Stuff We do here...or do You get the 6-10 foot Tall ones too??
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:10:23 am »
You Guys have Pencil Cholla not the Big Stuff We do here...or do You get the 6-10 foot Tall ones too??
We have teddybear cholla. It is normally around 3-4' but can get 6'.  You have to use the trunk and main branches, but it works good.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 02:53:17 pm »
I've seen some pencil, but I don't think it's native to this area. Like Justin said, we got the snuggly Teddy Bear variety.  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:09:56 pm »
I'll trade ya some knapped stone blades/points when you get it squared away
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:18:40 pm »
I'll trade ya some knapped stone blades/points when you get it squared away
Bone pile

Now that sounds like a Deal to Me!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:55:29 am »
Well here is what I ended up with....not a Bad Haul at all

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:39:28 pm »
Hey Mike I,d like to get some of your cholla handles. I,ve got  ramin dowels , turkey feathers, some flint blades, an hopefully I,ll have some tanned furs here very shortly. Trapping season comes in Oct. 25 an I usually send in some fur to Moyle Tannery in Jan an get back in March. Last year I had coon, coyote, fox,and beavers tanned. Let me know what ya need an I,ll see if I can catch it. Thanks,  Later Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:24:38 pm »
Mike, do you have a pic of a live cholla?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »
Mike, do you have a pic of a live cholla?

We don't have Teddy Bear Cholla like in Arizona and Utah and such....Ours is really Spindly and makes for great Knife Handle as you all have seen....here Pat is a few Pictures of what it looks like here......the last One is what I look for....see the Dead Branches in the Cactus....this is my Handle material......

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:25 pm »
Beautiful plants. Cool skeletons too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC