Linked Events

• Deefield MA Atlatl Toss: October 25, 2009

Author Topic: Deerfield MA Atlatl Toss, Sun, Oct 25th  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Dane

Deerfield MA Atlatl Toss, Sun, Oct 25th
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:08:46 am »
Sorry about the short notice, everyone, but I am happy to announce that our first Atlatl gathering is going to be held on Sunday, October 25th on the grounds of the Franklin County Sportsmen's Club in Deerfield, Massachusetts. The event will begin at 10 AM, and his being held in conjunction with the club's annual fall turkey shoot.

As the Archery Director for the club, a big part of what I am developing is primitive archery and atlatl programs. Eventually, I hope to see a number of gatherings and events (cordage making, bow making, watercraft construction, tracking and woods skills, knapping, shelter making, edible plants, fire making).

The seeds need to be planted first, of course, and this is going to be a very informal meeting, and a test for larger events in the future, including sanctioned ISAC events. The site is ideal for primitive gatherings, with almost 90 acres of land, and full-feature club house with three restrooms (always nice :) )

In the spirit of keeping this simple, we plan to teach throwing techniques using different styles of atlatls and darts using hardwood and cane darts and throwers we will provide, and have the materials and hand tools available for those who want to try their hand at crafting a simple spear thrower. I will have some self bows and arrows on hand for those who want to try primitive archery equipment, and materials to make bullroarers, our other featured activity. Since I just joined the WAA, this event won't have ISAC targets or scoring, but will for the next atlatl event.

Free coffee will be provided to help cut the chill. I plan to have this event rain or shine, and will hope for nice fall weather. Primitive bows as well as atlatls are welcome, as well as slinging and other primitive weaponry. The address of the club is:

Franklin County Sportsmen's Club
721 River Road East Deerfield, Massachusetts

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact me through this site, or my email address, danemitchell@comcast.net
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:13:33 pm by Calendargirl »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Deerfield MA Atlatl Toss, Sun, Oct 25th
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:14:44 pm »
Dane
This sounds great.  I wish I could make it.  If you do another let me know I could help out with fire making and cordage.  Hope you have a good gathering.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:17:00 am »
Thanks, Rick. It would have been great to have had you. This is not the only toss, others will happen in the future, though. I hope to have knapping as well, but any primitive skills are good to go.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:42:10 pm »
Dane- How'd the event go?  Hope you got some pics.
Traverse City, MI

kerbinator

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:44:51 pm »
When I was young inspired by the Dundee movies I made a bullroarer. A few months ago I made one for old times sake and stood outside in the dark buy my house swinging that thing and it actually got my neighbors attention.