Author Topic: Working up to a Warbow  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Working up to a Warbow
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:00:20 pm »
Hi all,
  I wanted to continue on a separate thread since I did not want to disrupt the direction of the conversation in the strength exercises thread which I am finding interesting.  What would be a good progression of bow weights to reach 120#?  I'm thinking #60 (which I can draw in small amounts now, ie. not 200 times a day), 80#, 100#, 120#?  I do not have any experiences with this, so I have no idea if 20#s jumps are okay or too much.  I'm putting together a game plan, and am thinking ahead on how much bow wood I'm going to need.  I've got a line on some Eastern Red Cedar (ERC) for the 60# and 80# bows.  I've heard of some 100# bows made out of ERC, but I expect to need to switch to Yew($) or laminate(not so period) for the 120#.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Et_tu_brute

Re: Working up to a Warbow
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:57:38 pm »
I think up to 100# you'll be OK, but from what I've heard from people who shoot heavy bows (I'm shooting 85# at the minute) once you get past around 100# you need to make smaller jumps, perhaps of 8-10#, rather than 20#.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 01:09:44 pm »
My experience is that there is a draw weight which you can manage already without too much trouble (strength wise) probably something like 100lb although you will probably have to build up to it slowly so your joints etc. get used to the idea
so up to this weight you will make pretty fast progress and jumping up in 10lb or 15lb steps will be pretty easy
but once you get to this limit progress beyond this comes much more slowly and then a 5lb step is a very big jump

If I remember right I got to 110lb in under a year but getting from this to my goal of 140lb took what seemed like a lifetime

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »
 I was wondering if 20# jumps above 100# might be a bit ambitious.  Like I said I have no experience with anything above 60#.  I'll plan on a maximum jump of 10# with maybe a 5# jump between 110# and 120#.  Thanks guys.
Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.