Author Topic: What seats for ground hunting?  (Read 19762 times)

Offline Bentstick81

What seats for ground hunting?
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »
  I was wondering what kind of seats everyone uses while ground hunting? I am having a rough time trying to carry a seat with my two quivers i use. I use either a G.Fred Asbell look a like, or a catquiver mini. I also need a better seat to stay still longer for deer hunting. Thanks.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: What seats for ground hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:11:59 pm »
When I hunt on the ground I usually bring a small piece of foam mat.  Then just sit on that indian style or put it on a log or rock or whatever I can find.
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:24:07 pm »
 That's because you are young, Rick. I carry a fold up, short-legged, dove hunting seat with a fold-up back. If I'm turkey hunting, I have one of those short, beach chairs with a back that sits about 6" off the ground. And I always carry pruning clippers to make quick ground blinds.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:40:43 pm »
A five gallon bucket with a padded lid seat. That way I have something to carry my snacks and flintknapping in. If I'm going to sit and wait I going to need something to do. I know knapping will scare everything away, but the other option is napping, and my snoring will scare them away.  :-X
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:34:05 am »
I have a fold up seat that straps to a tree.   Dean Torges came up with a DIY tree seat that is a square of 3/8" plywood and a piece of 3/16" poly rope. Simple and from what I've read, effective and comfortable. Check out Dean's site.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:44:06 am »
It may not be practical for shooting a bow. But I took one of those cheap green plastic yard chairs. The kind you can stack inside each other and cut the legs off. I left the front legs about 4" long and cut the back ones off even with the bottom of the seat.
 I find it to be very comfortable and not very heavy to carry.
 I especially use it for rifle hunting, since it puts my knees up to just the right height to rest my rifle on. Plus...you can lean back and it has arm rests.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:56:41 am »
i jist got to find an oak with roots farr enough apart to wedge myself in.

at my dads camp i always hunt sitting on the ground against a tree in a pile of brush. at my grandpa's there are stands that i hunt from.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:35:52 am »
I used to just sit on the ground or a log. Now that I'm old and decrepit, I bought me one of those closed-cell foam pads that hangs from your back belt loop. You never know it's there until you sit down and notice that your butt is dry and comfortable instead of cold, wet, and half-asleep from a rock or tree root poking into it. Best ten bucks I've spent in a while, and makes it a lot easier to sit still for long periods of time.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
I have an old seat cushion of a chair , i stuff into my backpack. When i get to a spot i like, i take the backpack off and sit down. I also carry a hand prunner with me for quick blinds !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:29:45 pm »
  I am using the Niff-T-Seat right now. You can use this seat anywhere. It is the most user friendly seat i've used, but it is not very comfy. About two to three hours is about all i can stand, then i get moving around on it. Its just hard to carry any other seat with a back type quiver.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »
Small foam pad for comfort. I must disagree with Justin though. I have woke myself up snoring only to have game very close and paying no attention to me. LOL, happens all too often to me!
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 10:11:30 pm »
God gave you a pretty good one right below your back and right above your legs  :D :D :D  sorry I had to  >:D

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 11:22:18 pm »
Ky, I wore that one many years ago.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:14:18 pm »
Hi,

I went nuts and bought a "Double Bull" seat from 3 Riv...it is right comfortable for my too large "Double Bull" butt!  Tote it around in a backpack...since I like getting out early and waiting that big old seat is worth dragging around.

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 11:58:03 am »
i hunt from a double bull blind all the time
and have a pair of the double bull tripod seats.
but i do have a pack that is designed to carry this blind and all other gear like the chairs etc
even spots for all my turkey calls,decoys,gun/bow pocket blah blah blah
but the newer larger double bull tripod chairs are even better,need to get them yet
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd