Author Topic: sinew and titebond 3  (Read 28322 times)

Offline Dano

Re: sinew and titebond 3
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »
I thought I would just try scraping it off, so I started at the handle with a sharp chisel once I got under the first layer of sinew it came right up, had to do a little fine scraping with the cabinet scraper, but no real problem. Not real impressed with the hold hide glue had on the wood, guess that's why old furniture falls apart at the glue joints.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline bcbull

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2009, 11:18:27 pm »
FELLAS  ILL LET YA IN ON A SECERAT    I LOVE THE HIDE GLUE  BUT JUST ANY OL HIDE GLUE DONT FLOAT MY BOAT  IV FOUND  NOTHING IS BETTER N  THE GOOD OL PIANO MAKERS HIDE GLUE # 1 GRADE   IT IS THE STRONGEST AND PUREST HIDE GLUE YOU CAN GET   DANO  THINKIN ABOUT THIS CRACKIN  IM RELLEY WONDERIN  YOU RECALL IF THAT SINEW AWAS A LIL GREASEY ?  BACK THEN    IV HAD SOME PLMS  WITH STUFF THATS JUST A BIT GREASEY  SEEMS AFTER A PERIOD OF TIME THE DARN STUFF GIVES OUT   JUST A THOUGHT   CUZ I NEVER HAD A PM WITH THE THUNDERBIRD  BROCK

Offline Dano

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2009, 11:32:14 pm »
Brock, I don't remember it being too greasy. It could have been the osage itself. Even now this bow is kinda oily, it's a piece I got from Roger Sparks, it's real red osage. I'm thinkin I didn't degrease the back well enough before laying down the sinew.

Nevada

Offline bcbull

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:24 am »
could very well be dano  good luck on fixin that one ha  hope to see you and sal and all at ojam  boys say  tell ya hi  brock

Offline Dano

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:28 am »
Thanks Brock, right back at ya's.

Nevada

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 01:41:31 pm »
"It shrinks?"  "Like a frightened turtle!"

sorry, couldn't resist >:D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 07:33:05 pm »
 Wow just read through most of this thread. Some different view points to say the least,,,,,Guess I'll just go ahead and throw in another rock in the pond.  I am I the only one still making my own glue?  I just the the sinew scraps and trimmings and throw them in the crock pot with some water over night and by morning Good pure sinew glue. Use what I need, put the rest in an old butter dish and throw it in the freezer till the next bow is ready When I first started doing it I was concerned because it didn't feel super sticky but I after testing was a believer. It's rips the wood before letting go. As far as waterproofing I agree with Justin it is what the finish is all about.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 08:21:28 pm »
keenan, what a about using rawhide dog bones??  cut up into small pieces and boiled down.  the reason i ask is i have used that to back a few bows, which was tricky.  I used warm water to soften em up to straighten out and when i took them out of the water man they were tacky.  seems that cowhide isn't much different from other hides.  what you think???

Offline Keenan

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 09:17:35 pm »
 Should work fine . I've never tried those but should work . Give it a try on a small peice and post the results ;)

Shadow Walker

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2009, 09:35:02 pm »
I've tried the dog chews. They work to an extent, but they don't yeild much. I think most of the protiens are leached out during processing. I have a large coffee can full of hide glue sticks I made from deer hide. I'm sticking to that, it's never let me down yet.