Author Topic: No-Glov...Yay or Nay?  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Dano

Re: No-Glov...Yay or Nay?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 09:44:48 pm »
I'm talking about cold weather and using gloves and tabs in hunting situations. I know guys that will were a warm glove over their shooting glove, that works for them. I started using a glove but found a tab gave me a better release. Making my own makes the fit even better, but it was a pain while hunting. That's all I was saying, I know there are a lot of people out there that do what they do very well, just sayin what works for me.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 12:34:03 am »
Yeah I figured you meant that :) I also cut the fingers off my cold weather hunting gloves but just recently I started also using my shooting glove sticking out through the cutout glove. Works good for me because its the same feel as target shooting. I found my release is bad when I have frozen fingers. Also hurts shooting with no glove in freezing weather. As for the no glove thingy I had it on a bow as a kid but it would seem to bulky now I think.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:12 am »
I've seen a lot of people use those on bows that they bowfish with.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 01:16:43 pm »
Nay for me. They pinch the arrow nock...
Ok, but isnt the pinch effect ONLY at full draw...where it doesnt really count?

I'm assuming the arrow stays ON the string until it stops.

Truth be told, never thought of it like that. But even when I shoot now, my top finger doesn't contact the nock. I have a slight torque in my draw hand that I can't seem to fix, so I take every effort I can to avoid a poor release.

My shooting certainly has improved as a result! That was a "speed group" to see if I could shoot with a tab as quickly as with a glove (which also gave me a bad release) at 20 yards. The arrows aren't perfectly matched and the bow isn't the most forgiving- all thing considered that's pretty good shooting :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mox1968

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »
nice grouping kegan!!I use a black widow tab very comfortable you could shoot all day with it on.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 10:10:54 am »
Thank you :)!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 11:24:15 am »
ive shot them i tend to roll the string with em. so i shoot with a glove.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 06:05:14 pm »
Its a tab for me, i shoot one over my cold weather glove and do quite well. I say nay to the no glove, nothing against them, what works for you works, just didn't feel right to me.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:50:02 pm »
Well Shucks,

When I started back I shot with my old leather work glove...then my buddies mad fun of me... told me I should use a new-fangled device called a TAB...well I tried it and naw...not for me...liked my old work glove...well they hasseled me some more and said I have to at least use a "shooter's glove" so I caved and bought one...it works ok...but really...I think my old leather work glove just works for me...thinking about painting it camo though!!...:)

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 07:47:19 am »
I've always used a glove, even back when I was shooting a compound 25 years ago. I've tried a tab and never got used to the feel of it against my anchor point. Even with a glove I shoot so much I build up callous's especially on my lower finger. I probably torque the string a little for that to happen.

Nice group Kegan! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 11:22:28 am »
Thanks Greg :)!

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 12:30:58 pm »
I remember those from the 60's when we shot pop-n-jay archery every week. They work, and your fingers won't hurt, but I just didn't like the feel of them. Eventually they start spinning on the string and need to be replaced. I shot a tab for awhile but didn't like the lack of string feel. Shot bare fingered until about 10 years ago and went to a damascus glove (which I think I dropped somewhere at MOJam this summer). I'm now using my goat skin glove from KK. A little thicker than the damascus, but still soft so I like the feel. Works good so far.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:56 pm »
I've shot 'em all, even the no-glove on my Bear Kodiak. They will work but I've come to shoot bare finger, now for 20+ years. In the winter, hunting, I will shoot with a jersey glove, with no problems. You have to find what works for ya, Enjoy the journey! Good shootin, Steve

Rhinegold

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 05:07:50 pm »
ive shot them i tend to roll the string with em. so i shoot with a glove.
Yeah I noticed that too at first...so I compensate by making contact at the first knuckle and rolling the string just slightly towards the finger tips as I draw.

Thanks for all the votes and comments!