Author Topic: Would you hunt?  (Read 6568 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Would you hunt?
« on: October 17, 2009, 05:05:25 pm »
Would you hunt in a subdivision?  In my area, there are homes built on 1/3 acre lots.  There are a few behind me that on on 1 acre, but all homes are visible from any where around my house.  There are deer in everyones yard, due to a very bad acor mass crop this year.  How many of you would hunt, between houses, or in an area where you could see the homes from your hunting area?  What is the closest you have hunted to a dwelling?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Would you hunt?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:37:39 pm »
If it were legal I would and have. We hunted Dawtaw Island in SC ; a residential community with expensive homes. As we were leaving from our morning hunt one day a woman was talking to the gate guard at the front entrance. She asked if we were hunting.  ::) Hesitantly we replied that we were. She then asked if we were using bows. Yes Mam, we said! Then she said..." put the damn bow up and get your G D shotguns, come sit in the pine next to my tennis court and shoot all them sons of bit*hes!"  :o
  If it were in my neighborhood(and legal) I think I would let the adjoining neighbors know that I would be legally bow hunting so as not to shock them when I recovered my deer from their rose garden! ;D (that's another tale for another day) ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ryanfromcanada

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:32:24 pm »
Nope, imo to close to people. Lots of non hunters could look negaitivly on that. If the wood lot was about 5 -10 blocks then maybe but not just one acre

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 10:07:24 pm »
absolutely.
there could be some big deer in there.
matter of fact the city i live in has a local special hunt permit for bowhunters to hunt along the mississippi in a residential area.
quit literally hunting in peoples back yards.
theres a hunting show on the outdoor channel dedicated to just that kind of hunting
i dont know if its proper to mention the name of it,but i will.
its called "deer city usa"(i think) lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:02:35 pm »
That's  what  is so  cool  about the  bow, in  and  out,  unseen,  unheard:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 12:15:02 am »
Like Pat said, IF it were legal. I would suggest picking shots even more carefully than you normally would. You don't need an arrowed deer running the streets.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 12:21:17 am »
Some of the biggest deer taken in GA came from inside the city limits of Atlanta, in small wooded lots between homes.
  Quite a few states are starting urban hunts. Here in NC it is up to the community with state approval.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:43:10 am »
Like it's said- if it's legal. I'd probably try to go for the quickest killing set up I could come up with though- heavy arrows, large three blade heads, heavy bow, etc.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:09:49 am »
keep it safe and getter done. you got all the tree stands you want, roof tops.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 12:56:59 pm »
I personally wouldn,t.Nothing wrong with it especially if some deer need to be taken out to manage the herd.Here in downstate central Pa. we have lots of woodlots around houses and business,s and some of my friends hunt em and usually do good.I like to travel north where there are less deer but thousands of acres to roam with usually noone around.I usually get a deer or two every year but only consider that as my bonus.A pack-sleeping bag and tarp and disappearing into the bush for a few days by myself is to me what it,s all about-quite simple!!!!good luck and shoot straight-Lloyd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 08:25:12 pm »
 If it's legal, sure. Like said though, it would probally suck if one fell over dead at some little kids birthday party, hotdog cookout. We have a few golf courses that will let us go after hogs at night with dogs or Q-beams and 22cal rifes, so we don't wake anybody up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 08:50:05 pm »
It often becomes a public safety issue, not just a management issue. Utah has several residential areas that are special archery only late seasons. The state requires a special archery safety course that you have to pass with 100% to participate. I think this is one of the few times that the state DWR had a good idea.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:53 am »
I would, if it were the only place to hunt or if the hunting was exceptional.  But I like to get away from people and sneak thru the woods with my bow by myself, and hunting in someone's backyard would kinda ruin the experience for me.....but that's just my opinion.

There is a big neighborhood near where I live that borders a long strip of US Army Corps of Engineers property.  It used to be legal to hunt there, but my friend (who hunts with a compound bow that almost shoots as fast as he shoots off his mouth) used to bowhunt on that property.  Well, he used to climb up in trees within clear view of people's bay windows, and the homeowners would wake up in the morning and see him in the tree.  A few times people came out and asked him what he was doing and told him they didn't like seeing him in the trees in their backyard.  My friend has an ego to boot, so he'd tell them "What I'm doing is totally legal so shut up and stop harassing me."  Well, that's all it took.  The Corps of engineers got several complaints about some a$$%#%^^  bowhunter who gave them attitude, and they no longer allowed anyone to hunt there.

That's EXACTLY the type of hunter we don't need in the woods. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 09:41:45 am »
yes and have several times.  a huge subdivision on the lake here lets bow hunters apply for a permit to bow hunt.  you get a map of the vacant lots and the houses NOT to hunt beside.  subdivisions are great places to hunt and when you have the deer patterned all you have to do is sit and wait.  the deer rarely deviate from trails as they weave their way through subdivisions.  find a house with a dog and it'll tell you when the deer are coming.  it's amusing to see $500,000 homes with chicken wire over the shrubs and flowers to keep the deer from eating $15,000 worth of landscaping.  had a fellow offer me and my cousin a cooler of beer to sit on his deck and shoot the deer as they came in to feed on his manicured lawn.  city yankees are some humorous people.  when i first started hunting the area the fellow over the program wasn't thrilled with the idea of traditional equipment so my cousin loaned me one of his compounds.  wasn't fond of the idea but i went along to keep my cousin company.  the second morning had a doe come in to about 30 yards, she fell over in sight.  15 min. later, a five pointer came trotting in straight to me.  whistled to stop him but he kept coming so i put the fiber optic pin on his throat and let fly.  the 2.5" mechanical point almost took his head off at 15 yards.  the blades severed his spine and he flipped over backwards.  this was the last time i touched a compound.  i gave the meat to someone who needed it but the hunt was no fun at all.  it was almost like shooting fish in a barrel. 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 10:00:49 am »
i would. on one of the two places i hunt, the 8:00 train sounds like its going to climb up in the tree with you. but hey, deer's deer.
lets just shoot it