Author Topic: Would you hunt?  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Would you hunt?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:50 am »
 Sorry guys I have to disagree with most and say absolutely not on this issue. I live on the outskirts of town and we have allot of deer wandering through peoples yards. Most are pets to people and being how we live in a animal lover mecca it would only give hunters a black eye.   Every year we have one or two hunters, that do take the shot,  and even when it is a good quick kill, it is always spotlighted in the local paper showing the hunter as a ruthless uncaring jerk.
  Also the fact that most deer wandering through the suburbs have lost their fear of humans, and its not much of a challenge nor skill to just walk up and put an arrow in one of them.
  I was shooting my target during season this year with my stone points, when a monster buck came through the yard and walked right behind my target. Massive 8x5 mule deer that would drop anyone jaw, as I was standing there at twenty yards with a stone tip arrow knocked. I had to pass because of ethics. Even if it would had dropped in his tracks neighbors would have seen and once again the hunters would take the hit in the media. It's simply not worth it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:01:50 pm by Keenan »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 01:26:26 pm »
  Also the fact that most deer wandering through the suburbs have lost their fear of humans and its not much of a challenge nor skill to just walk up and put an arrow in one of them.

Never even considered that point! Well put.

But I don't know why you're apologizing ;).

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 02:18:35 pm »
 Thanks Kegan,  As this is a right of ours as hunters to shoot in a legal situation I could see my stance offending some.  Though it is my choice not to shoot, doesn't mean that I would look down on any who would and I'm sure by your reply that you understand that.
  I've just seen these scenarios give the anti hunters to much ammunition against hunters. Last year we had one that the Fish and Game had to dart in a suburb to remove the arrow sticking threw the neck and jaw. Though most hunters are ethical and strive only for a "sure thing" shot, mistakes happen. In thirty plus years of bow hunting, I have certainly had a shot go wrong even in close range and so it' never a guarantied out come. I had a big buck that I shot right through the top of the heart run about 60 yards before dropping. If in a suburb that would have meant on someone else's lawn and cause for offense. If I lived in a community of all hunters it would be different, but not in todays world.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:24:39 pm »
Keenan, I can see your point. I guess I should clarify what I meant by if it is legal.  In Utah it is only legal when there is a huge problem and the DWR believes it is a public safety issue and they need to be removed in a special hunt.  And yes, you do live in the anti mecca of the world.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 03:12:17 pm »
 Same thing here, you only get to hunt in these places when they are a nuisance. There is a story in today's paper about deputies that shot a hog that wandered into a church fundraiser carnival. It wasn't hurting anything but people Freak out over "The Dangerous Wild Hog". People in Sub Divisions will beg people to kill hogs and deer and racoons when they destroy their landscaping and scatter garbage all over the place. Bears are getting that way here now, It's only a matter of time before they will have to open the season again.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 03:24:20 pm »
 ;)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 04:28:57 pm »
Not living somewhere that has a firm anti-hunting population, it didn't occur to me just what an effect it would have on more hunter PO. But you're absoutely right Keenan, hunting in the suburbs you can't just stop at watching your P's and Q's.

I've heard of people being asked to dispense with nuisance animals. But in places where the animals are more friends to the people than foe, it wouldn't be worth the meat it :P

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 06:38:55 pm »
Nope ! wouldnt even think of it , but would get me a bucket of corn and a billy club and open my back door . Here deer, here deer , comon into the butcher room oh I mean the kitchen for a snack >:D
                  Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Keenan

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 07:10:33 pm »
Nope ! wouldnt even think of it , but would get me a bucket of corn and a billy club and open my back door . Here deer, here deer , comon into the butcher room oh I mean the kitchen for a snack >:D
                  Dennis

:D :D ;D  I like it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  I wonder ,,A trail of apples into the barn,,,,,,,,shut door,,,, >:D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:27 pm »
as someone who doens not own land to hunt one.and have to relay on nice landowners that are willing to let you hunt
or have to hunt public land.
if the city is going to give me an area to hunt that is new and known to have lots of deer and i pass their competency test
damn right i am taking the opportunity before some one else does.
now if i owned hunting land,then why bother. let some poor unfortunate fool like myself have the chance
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 01:56:07 pm »
i would and have done that.  It's not even hunting at that stage, though:  it's pest control.  Happens here where there is a shortage or absolute dearth of natural predators to live on the deer.  They are as bad as rats in some places, but with bigger piles of poop.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 02:28:39 am »
Guess I've been spoiled in Northern CA, but I've never hunted where I can see the smoke from a chimney.  Would I? Well that depends how hard up I was for meat   :)
Humboldt County CA.

Offline billy

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:11 am »
That's true that in some areas hunting deer is pest control.  In that respect I think bowhunters have a distinct advantage because of their silent weapons, and it's the homeowners who demand that hunters kill the deer that are our best friends.  If you find someone like that, my suggestion is to go out of your way to be as polite and helpful as you can.  Not only could you possibly make a good friend, but you'll set an example for other hunters.   
Marietta, Georgia