Author Topic: pesky quiver  (Read 10494 times)

Offline WVFishFearMe

• Pamunkey
pesky quiver
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:26:59 am »
I am struggling with using a quiver when hunting. Trouble with back and waist carries. Because they snag and can be noisy, I am down to carrying two or three arrows and shooting with arrows gripped with the bow. Anyone have a primitive fix?
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as large as required.

Offline recurve shooter

Re: pesky quiver
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:40:48 am »
bow quiver?
lets just shoot it

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:46:14 pm »
I turned a coyote hide into a back quiver that rides between the shoulders. It is very easy to grab arrows from and tends to sit right behind my head so it doesn't catch on a lot of brush. With the fur rolled in it adds just the right cushion to keep arrows from rattling.

Offline WVFishFearMe

• Pamunkey
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:23:45 pm »
Thanks, StringMan -

Sounds like it is two straps, daypack-like. Sounds like a great idea, will try it out.

BTW- you also read my mind ...  I'm out for a coyote for a quiver. Nicely done.  8)

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:32:09 pm »
  I have the same problem. I don't like a quiver on my board bow, i hunt with. But, you can't hardly carry a back quiver, along with some kind of seat to use while hunting. I have a great northern strap on bow quiver that i thought i might put on and carry my arrows to the woods, then, take it off when i get where i am going to hunt.

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:10:34 am »
I don't use back quivers for that very reason.  I've had the damn things catch on all kinds of brush which tears up my feathers and make all kinds of noise.  IF you're horseback on the open plains, then a back quiver works great.  But the instant you get into the brush, they become a real problem.  I carry 3 or 4 arrows in my bow hand with the points up.  That way, when I walk thru the brush the feathers slide thru the brush without damage.  I like having a quiver with me when I'm in a treestand, but that's about it. 
Marietta, Georgia

mahtosapanumpa

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:17:48 am »
My back quiver I designed with a flattened oval mouth that has a string holding it flat. The string helps separate the fletching ends to some degree. I put only about 6 arrows in the quiver, each tip covered with a small triangular leather hood that keeps them from rattling and dulling up against each other. The hoods fall off inside the quiver when I pull an arrow out to use.  All that keeps the rattling noise down. as far as snagging as I move, I have come to frequently slide my quiver from my back down under my arm when going through thick brush then back up onto my back when I get through it.  All that said, it is definitely a conscious choice on my part to wear a back quiver.

I have thought about a NA style side quiver, made of hair on deer hide with the hair to the inside.  The grain of the hair pointing down into the quiver. I am told the hair helps keep the arrows silent and in the quiver and the low slung side design is easier to control when moving through thick brush. I haven't tried this as of yet .

Kirby

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 02:49:05 pm »
... I am told the hair helps keep the arrows silent and in the quiver ...
Kirby

All quivers I have made lately have fur lining around the opening and most often really think hair-on wildboar hide on the bottom.
They sure are quiet!
Frank from Germany...

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:45 pm »
the coyote quiver sounds like a real good idea, but lately for deer ive been carrying 3 arrows and thatgs it. i get off work after school and i dont feel like carrying much ill just take arrows and my bow, no quiver.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 04:47:24 pm »
I use a plains style quiver.. you can easily shift it to your side while hunting heavy brush by simply pulling the strap up... hardly ever snags up and is quiet to get arrows out and in.. has bear skin lining.. try one and i bet you will like how it rides on your lower back and seems to be a quiet way to carry lots of arrows.. some of the greatest hunters of all time used them for hundreds of years.. LOL.. there is a picture of my quiver on the cover of the latest  PA magazine....Hawk 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline WVFishFearMe

• Pamunkey
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:01:51 am »
I reworked my quiver to have two straps. It was much, much better. I see more good ideas on here and will do some schoolin'.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 12:20:38 pm »
I like a quiver that hangs at your side for hunting. Much better than the back quiver.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 01:01:03 pm »
There is a chapter on quivers in Traditional Bowyers Bible, I think vol. 2, by the late great Jay Massey. He hated most quivers too and settled on the Plains type which is the most adaptable.  I made one from the pattern in the book  (elk skin) and still use it. I have a Catquiver, 3Rivers bow quiver, and hip quiver somewhere gathering dust. I still cuss the plains quiver but it's better than the others. I would line it with fur next time.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 02:18:30 pm »
Hi,
I like the NA quiver and have used that kind for years now. No arrows banging around,I can see which arrow I want to take out of it by the nocks,you can put it in front of you,behind you or up under your arm pit. And you can grab it up and run like hell when you come across a big old boar you just walk into after looking for your blunt you were shooting at old trees with.

If you want the fletchs uncovered;

If you want the fletchs covered;

Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 03:15:04 pm »
I'm with Hawkbow and Cromm on the Plains quiver - very versatile.  Can guide it with a hand when going through heavy brush, easy access to arrows, can even where it as a back quiver if you desire.  Plus mine's got a small bag attached for stuff like tabs, spare strings, wax, etc.  It's overal my favorite style of quiver, hands down.
Travis