Author Topic: pesky quiver  (Read 10493 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: pesky quiver
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 12:53:57 am »
I hate quivers. I have yet to find one that suits me. I have tried most all styles. I am a tall and wide, so my quiver snags on everything when walking through brush. All that said I tend to lean towards the plains style quiver or one that is similar to that style.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 08:25:07 am »
  When you guys use the Plains style quiver, does your feathers get matted down while laying on top of one another in the quiver? Wife has a soft leather coat that is old, and she doesn't wear any more, thought about trying to build one, myself. ;)

Offline woodstick

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 10:17:16 am »
i had a back quiver and didnt like it, it r4estricted my arm movement when shooting, pat made me a nice coydog quiver the hangs on my side and luv it.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 10:25:09 am »
Put the seam on the top of the quiver and add a stiffener stick along that seam. This will allow the quiver to "purse" along the bottom allowing for more room for the arrows. A little matting of the feathers shouldn't hurt their flight if they normally fly well from the bow.
  On Tim's(Woodstick) coyote quiver I put the seam on the bottom of the quiver because I wanted the hair to lay down and back(as it did on the coyote). For his I added extra leather inside over the stitching not only to make it "purse" correctly but also to protect the stitching from the sharp arrow heads. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 10:44:02 am »
Bentstick81, Found the chapter on quivers by Jay Massey. Volume 2 of Traditional Bowyer's Bible, chap. 12, "Quivers and Other Gear". The pattern I used is on page 303. Like PatB said, you need a stiffener along one side which is shown in the plans. I used an arrow shaft. My fletches do get a little mangled in it but I use high banana cut feathers. Straight cut fletches would probably work better. BTW, Massey called the Plains quiver "Indian style". If you don't have the "Bible" series, get it. It's indispensable and I wouldn't be making bows if I hadn't picked it up. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:48:22 am by ShinneryOak »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 10:53:54 am »
Check out the "How To" section here. There are a few plains type quivers to get some ideas from on there. Both Jackcrafty(Patrick) and Medicinewheel(Frank) have excellent build alongs and I'm sure others do to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 03:20:38 pm »
I just got my boa quiver from 3rivers and I have to say that I like it a lot...doesn't move on the bow and it can hold up to 6 arrows...not that I need that many  8)  8)

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 05:13:31 pm »
I have the 4 arrow boa quiver and I love it. Very light. Dont even know its there. Not for target shooting but I like it more than other styles for hunting.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 10:52:09 am »
Side stalker......
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 12:21:56 pm »
I liked the feel and heft of a bow quiver on my glass longbow and recurve but hate the feel on a self bow. It adds too much physical weight and throws the balance off for me. I have tried back quivers and they are too noisy and unruly, a plains type doesn't feel right to me either. I do like the side stalker type for target shooting and a GFA type for hunting. The GFA type holds the arrows securely, makes them easy to pull an arrow when needed, will slip behind my back to get it out of the way and is easy to make from most bow type quivers. I have an old KwickyKwiver that I have added a parachute cord strap(like a GFA) for carrying and a quick disconnect bracket mounted on my tree stand for when I hunt from that stand.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 09:52:04 pm »
Most  back  quivers  are  made  of the  wrong  material  to  be  quiet, lined  with  fur  or  made  with the  hair  on  is  quiet, 
also it forces  you  to walk  quietly,  which  is  something that  takes  concentration,
   the  back  quiver,  if  the  design  is  right  also  allows  you  a  place  to  carry survival  components,
I always  have  a bushman located  in  a special  pouch  inside  the  quiver,
along  with a  few  survival  items  in  the pocket, so  I  don't  have  to  have  them  sloshing around  in  my  pockets,
fletching are  duller colors,  as  a  quiver  full  of  bright  arrows is like  a  flashlite  in  the  woods (those colors  are  better for target  or  where  concealment  is  not  an  issue)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.