Author Topic: Turkey Tail question  (Read 2005 times)

Offline StevenT

Turkey Tail question
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:33:08 pm »
Mullet posted a great picture of a TT and it is also the Point of the Month. I wanted to post my question here so as not to sent those post off in another direction. Anyone have any idea why the notches on a TT are so close to the end? I know notches are channels for the wrap, but with TT notches so close to the end it seems like the shaft would just sort of cover them up. So I can't see it as a good arrow point and if you put it in a handle wide enough for a knife, I know they would be totally covered.  Even if you did put on on the end of a arrow, wouldn't it look kinda funny with all that stone sticking way out in front like that.  I know they are called Turkey Tails because of the notches being way down on one end, but it just seems sort of impracticle looking at one. So I figure I have to be missing something. Anyone know why the notches on a TT are they way they are?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Turkey Tail question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:25:37 pm »
yea man... ;)

They were neck knives, and there was no handle.. the notches are there to tie a leather thong too. and i think they were worn more as a form of jewelry rather then a tool.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:21:31 pm »
 That's what I heard also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:34:49 am »
Getting curious about TT, too, now. So these are not to be shafted on an arrow??
Frank from Germany...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:07:41 am »
 Frank, most Turkey Tails are about as long as your hand.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:50:28 am »
See, I knew I was missing something. I never thought about a neck knife as a possibility. But it does make sense.  I am not sure I would want to have something like that hanging around my neck. But based on what a woman did back in the day, it would be handy if she had something like a TT handy.  And I don't know how many women read these post, but don't go off on me. I am talking about it being used in the period, not today. We all know that women today would just grab a 44 to take care of business and be done with it.