Author Topic: yew longbow, full draw  (Read 12913 times)

radius

Re: yew longbow, full draw
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 01:48:40 pm »
Thanks for the good words guys.

Adam:  About Pip, yes, i emailed him and told him i was coming to england for seven weeks and asked him to give me a week's work at his shop.  Showed him a couple pics, my son's yew longbow and the yew recurve for my father in law.  He said they were "interesting".  That's all he said.  Haha.  Asked me about obtaining warbow-capable pieces of yew.  He gave some very strong opinions about yew, which i would like to share.

According to Pip Bickerstaffe,

1.  15 to 20 rings per inch is all you want:  too many means the wood had insufficient nutrients and will not hold up.

2.  wood density is the best measure of its usefulness as bow wood. 

3.  warbows, even of the best materials, become "shot out" within a month of hard use

4.  it's more common to find firewood than bow wood in a yew tree.

He did not offer me a job at all.  But maybe...my wife's gonna be working still when i get there, so i'm gonna have lots of play time. 

Pip said, "I have made over 15 000 bows, and i'm starting to understand what wood can do."

gotcha

Bushbow:

i like that bow you made, the yew stiff-handle bows i've made have all taken too much set.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 02:04:53 pm »
You did a fine job with that bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 08:57:06 pm »
Radius I shot the bow for a couple of hours yesterday, it seemed to hold up OK, maybe an inch of set, I will see how it goes. I have made only one bend thru the handle bow, a 56" hickory bow patterned after an indian bow. It kicked like a mule, no doubt due to poor tillering on my part, plus hickory is relatively heavy. I will have to give it another try

Have you read Pip's book Heritage of the Longbow. I think it is a really informative book. I started that bush bow using the dimensions in Pip's book for an ELB, which is where the stiff handle originated.

radius

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 11:56:48 pm »
haven't read it yet, no...but i'm sure i'll pick it up when i'm over there

Offline Chad Bower

• ~Odins' wisdom ,Thors' strength , Freyas' love.~
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 12:14:07 pm »
IM jelous ! Been huntin one just like it ! ...Cant find one though ! LOL Great work !
~ 45,000 years ago the bow was invented. The bow is the history of mankind.~

Don't just exsist  , live , everyday to the fullest.

Chad "Wolf Among Dogs" Bower

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 12:37:47 pm »
Nice looking bow,well tillered. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 12:46:56 pm »
Nice bow Radius, Tiller looks excellent. Can you post a pic of the unbraced profile.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:21:48 pm by Keenan »

radius

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 01:46:38 am »
Thanks guys.  No, Keenan, i actually don't have a pic of that!  And i'm out of town right now, working on a tv show in vancouver, of all things!  When i get back i will take a pic and show you.  It's weird though.  The bow had a LOT of reflex originally.  Like a bow i made a couple weeks ago, it would actually bend BACKWARD when initially strung.  As i had been advised with the first one, i shortened the string alot and forced the bow to hold a braced shape of maybe 3 or 4" at the center of the stave.  It caused a kink in the lower limb not too far out from the handle.  However, the kink doesn't show in the drawn bow, and the arrows streak out like crazy.  Plus, i just love this one.  It's simple but cool...hard to make an ugly or boring bow with yew.

radius

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:43 pm »

unbraced for keenan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 08:43:07 pm »
That is a fine looking bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 12:00:28 am »
Love the bow. 

One of these yew type bows boggles the mind.  I think one has to make one to really appreciate them.  They can be ugly, no-one who sees my bows appreciates the yew bow.  They all ohh and ahh at the osage bows.  But its one of my favorites. 
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 12:19:14 am »
same here, i love the yew.  I think i got a ride to the yew stash that buddy has promised me, next week i hope to pick it up on saturday.  6 logs!  Give one to the man who's driving.  Man, what am i gonna do with 5 logs of yew?

Today was a hallmark day for me, bowmaking.  End of a season.  Next time i get back into bowmaking, i will have a whole freakin pile of seasoned staves a-waiting in the nothing box.  I shot a few of the bows i made this summer, including the yew holmegaard with the stepped-down handled and tip inlays, the 60" oak recurve, and this one.  They are all good.  The recurve is smooth all the way back, and pretty accurate.  The holmegaard has a hella wallop.  But this longbow is extremely fast and accurate, and powerfully hard-hitting.  It is the one i like the most.  You make so many bows and some are for other people specifically, i wonder, which one should i call Mine?  I'm going with this one. 

Quick draw is my style.  I sight the target, draw while focusing on the target, and release at once.  I find that i pull short draw often, like 25" or so.   This is a great bow.  The bullseye was from a full ear draw.   The 2nd photo is deceiving:  i actually hit the center 4 times, but one of the arrows was deflected by hitting another.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 09:59:23 pm »
hey Scott,sweet stick.you did great work...but,i do have a question...pip said that 15-20 growth rings per inch is o.k....but,i all ways thought the more growth rings per an inch was better...so,why does every one bragee about 30-40 growth rings...just trying to get it right for some bow making...thanks john

radius

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 01:04:07 am »
i'm guessing if they brag, it's because they don't really know what they're talking about...who knows?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 10:46:00 am »
John, Check out the yew ring count thread. We have been having a discusion about this on there.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:02:46 pm by Keenan »