Author Topic: yew longbow, full draw  (Read 12915 times)

Offline snedeker

Re: yew longbow, full draw
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 02:44:52 pm »
Nice primitive bow.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 09:03:21 pm »
Radius, that backstop kind of looks like you are shooting your bow inside. Last time I did that (after my wife went to bed) I found out that an arrow Can go thru a phone book and put a hole in the couch. My wife is not keen on shooting in the house.  ;D

radius

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 11:53:46 pm »
yes definitely shooting it inside.   >:D

little drywall filler and we're good to go

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 10:20:26 pm »
Thanks for the good words guys.

Adam:  About Pip, yes, i emailed him and told him i was coming to england for seven weeks and asked him to give me a week's work at his shop.  Showed him a couple pics, my son's yew longbow and the yew recurve for my father in law.  He said they were "interesting".  That's all he said.  Haha.  Asked me about obtaining warbow-capable pieces of yew.  He gave some very strong opinions about yew, which i would like to share.

According to Pip Bickerstaffe,

1.  15 to 20 rings per inch is all you want:  too many means the wood had insufficient nutrients and will not hold up.

2.  wood density is the best measure of its usefulness as bow wood. 

3.  warbows, even of the best materials, become "shot out" within a month of hard use

4.  it's more common to find firewood than bow wood in a yew tree.

He did not offer me a job at all.  But maybe...my wife's gonna be working still when i get there, so i'm gonna have lots of play time. 

Pip said, "I have made over 15 000 bows, and i'm starting to understand what wood can do."

gotcha

Bushbow: so I guess he has made a thousand bows a year for 15 years??? ??? makes you wonder how much time he can devote to each one :-\

i like that bow you made, the yew stiff-handle bows i've made have all taken too much set.

radius

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 10:13:31 am »
i know i know:  i take it to mean he runs a workshop and takes credit for all of them

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 10:16:42 am »
Wow,  a warbow  is shot  out  after  100  shots,  that's  depressing:(
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

radius

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 10:20:54 am »
Hey, Scott. Awesome bow. Perfect tiller. You're becoming the yew master, especially with those knotty pieces.

What are you doing in England? I have a good friend who lives in York, and I was lucky enough to visit him for a couple weeks last summer. Are you going to go visit Pip Bickerstaffe? He's a reasonably decent chap, and I got to spend an afternoon in his shop.

hey Adam,

is your friend an archer, too?  I'm sending 3 bows there right now, and one of them is not spoken for.  yew shortie, 52@27"  .  Maybe he'd be interested in it?

Scott