Author Topic: Red Oak and Maple Backed Bow  (Read 9961 times)

vtclimber

Red Oak and Maple Backed Bow
« on: October 25, 2009, 04:41:35 pm »
Hi all,

Finally got one to tiller out. Made out of red oak (belly) backed with curly maple and purpleheart for the tips.  66" NTN, 1.5" at fades to 0.5 " at tips. Pulls 50# at 27" draw. Tiller could be better but all in all I am pleased. The thing shoots like a bandit! I'll get a full draw shot up soon.

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

vtclimber

Re: Red Oak and Maple Backed Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:48:41 pm »
Sorry everyone....I posted this in the WRONG place!  Kinda forgot where I was....

vtclimber

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:28:24 pm »
I am assuming one of the moderators will put this post where it belongs lol, but here it is at full draw.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:10:06 pm »
Nice bow! Although i believe you can go a little smaller in length on your handle riser.  It would give you more working limb to work with.   :)  Your tip overlays look great too!   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

vtclimber

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:25:20 am »
I could certainly go smaller on the handle riser. I made it at 12 inches, and after gluing it up I figured out ten would have been about perfect lol. Next one is in the works, so I'll start fixing my mistakes from this one. :)

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:07:53 am »
It's really hard to see the bow's tiller with that background.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:55:48 am »
Can't really tell the tiller...
Seems dangerously narrow at shelf, don't you think??
Frank from Germany...

vtclimber

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 07:42:48 am »
ADB - I'll see if I can get a better pic of the tiller. It may be a day or so as I had to borrow a camera to get the ones I have lol.

Medicinewheel - It may be a bit narrow, but the handle is almost two inches thick so I figured it could handle it. I have run about 175 shots through it and it seems (at this point) to be holding up... I had my first attempt blow apart at full draw. Left a nasty bruise where it hit :D

There are definitely some things I will do differently on the next go around. Until then, I'll see if I can borrow my friends camera again and get some better pictures of the handle area, tiller, etc.

Dave

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:08:26 pm »
... I had my first attempt blow apart at full draw. Left a nasty bruise where it hit :D

Don't we all hate it when that happens...   8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

vtclimber

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »
Lol, I know the language got pretty colorful pretty rapidly! The lower limb went right at the fades (incredibly poor tillering) and caught me pretty good!

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:13:48 pm »
Very cool wood combination, curly maple looks great

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:53:44 pm »
Good looking bow Dave! Nice contrasting wood combination on the tips.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

vtclimber

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:34 am »
Thanks Bushbow and Cowboy. I've always been a fan of the purpleheart/maple combo. Any one know how figured walnut would work? I was thinking of that for the backing for the next one as I have a bunch cut. Thanks again all!

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:50:57 am »
Good looking bow..  ;)

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 09:01:44 pm »
Vtclimber, I have had great luck with Black Walnut. I have a black walnut bow made from a stave, mostly sapwood, but a good shooter. I also made an ELB, 1/8" hickory back, 1/8" bubinga stripe over a black walnut core. I gave the bow to my brother, after 5 years no chrysals, still shoots great.