Author Topic: Lucky bow changes my luck  (Read 23377 times)

Offline Big A

Lucky bow changes my luck
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:14:05 pm »
I was standing around taking in the end of the TwinOaks classic when Shara and Marie called me over to sign up for PA magazine. They said you might even win the bow they were giving away. Well I got lucky and 30 minutes later they called my name I had won the bow.
 I have been hunting this year  with my snake bow trying to take a deer with it. I think I was putting to much pressure on myself. I changed and started to hunt with the bow I won from PA and I made it happen.
 Sat. Afternoon hunting a secluded field in the woods I had four big does come in and start to feed. The lead doe was the biggest and getting close enough to be in range. She was 15 yards and looking the other way when I released the arrow. I watched the arrow hit low right behind the front leg. She turned and ran I saw the broadhead end of the arrow in the same place but on the other side of her. I knew she would be down soon.
  That deer made me work hard to find her and question what my eyes were telling me. I tracked her for an hour before it got dark. The trail was good at frist then it started to go away fast and I had already gone to far for the hit I made. I got in my pack to get the tracking paper out to help with direction when I would lose the trail.Deer started to blow at me about 80 yards ahead of me. I just nealed down and watched for there movement. This will happen sometime with more then one deer in the group they will get back together with the wounded deer and can be a clue when tracking.
 I had lost the trail at that point and decided to go to the place the deer were blowing and look for sign. I found the deer were on a logging road so I walked it trying to cut the trail again. No luck cutting the trail and it is completely dark now. So I went back to the truck to see if I could get help and drop off my pack. Keith who I was hunting with had killed a big doe also. He had company coming for dinner and had to get his deer taken care of so back to the woods I went alone. I had another light and alot tracking paper. At the last point I had the trail I just slowed down and was able to find more sign. Then with 80 yards in a thicket I came upon my big doe. Hit where I thought a low heart shot with the legs blocking the holes.She went about 250 yards. My frist deer of the year and Keith and I double up.

Offline Big A

Re: Lucky bow changes my luck
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:18:27 pm »
Here is a picture the next day.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:31:24 pm »
nice deer Big A!!!  Hope you get one with that snakey osage bow soon too!  :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:53:34 pm »
Way to go Big A!  ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:04:40 am »
Congratulations Anthony!  Maybe I need to switch bows and see if it changes my luck ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:25:56 am »
Nice job BigA. A fine looking doe. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:47 am »
Congrats Anthony! I guess the donut field stand payed off for you! That doe covered some distance considering that shot. Way to stick on the track! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Don Wilson

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:22:58 am »
Congratulations Big A!!!!!

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 09:33:10 am »
BigA:  You are to be commended on staying with the tracking.  Says a lot for your respect for the animal.  As far as the bow goes, I am a firm believer in the medicine some bows and arrows have.  Looking forward to seeing you at the Classic!  a/ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:57:59 am »
Great job! I agree with Joe.. the medicine in certain bows is strong when on the hunt.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline BearG

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 10:33:44 am »
Way to go Big A
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 11:30:55 am »
Yea! Way To go man!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »
Congrats on your deer,and for a good job of trackin'.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline nocams

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 05:34:04 pm »
Nevermind my question Big A on the other thread as to which bow you used.... Should have read this thread first. Congrats and good lesson on your tracking job, I will file that one away. Which broadhead ? With that low of a hit in the front should of had good blood ? When you dressed her had you hit the heart or were you a little forward ?

Offline Big A

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 07:39:37 pm »
I used a 140grain Ace on a tonkin cane arrow. The whole thing weighs 530grains. The bow is 45# @ 28". The arrow went to about 2" from the feathers. The arrow centered the heart. I think her legs were covering the holes. The last 100yards the blood was just pin drops. A lot of hoof tracking.
Big A