Author Topic: red cedar  (Read 6670 times)

blake

red cedar
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:58:58 pm »
How does red cedar work for making self bows? I found a nice straight cedar with no limbs to about five feet. It is about 4 inches in diameter. Is it worth trying?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: red cedar
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:10:05 pm »
By Red Cedar are you talking about Eastern or Western?  If your talking about Eastern it will make a good bow.  I have one that is in a long drying phase after sinewing.  Your best bet would be to back it with sinew or rawhide.  But I have seen unbacked ERC.  Most leave a sapwood layer on the back of the bow.  You just have to make sure it is a super clean piece to go unbacked.  As far as Western, I have no idea.
Traverse City, MI

Offline carbinecasey

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:11:02 pm »
Been wanting to try one myself. A gent here in Ky made one and killed a doe with it a few years ago, so from what I have read it can be done.

Carbinecasey

blake

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:14:27 pm »
Thanks, might have to give it a go! I think it is eastern red cedar I live near Kansas City missouri.

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:39:54 pm »
It's probably Juniper, same family and makes a decent bow too.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:53 pm »
I CUT A LOT OF MY STAVES 50 MI FROM KC  SO THATS E R C   A JUNIPER LIKE DANO SAYS  IF IT S CLEAN IT WILL MAKE AQ GOOD BOW LEAVE THE SAP   IF YOU NEED TO BACK IT WITH SILK OR RAWHIDE  BUT I BACK VERY FEW IF THEY ARE CLEAN AND HAVE GOOD SAP  GO FOR IT  BROCK

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:37:36 pm »
Here in Oklahoma ERC is considered an invasive species and the conservation dept. actively encourages killing them whenever possible. They spread like crazy, suck up all the water and crowd out everything else. Plus, I'm allergic to them. I learned all this after I built my house on a lot where they're the only trees! Oh well, at least I don't have to rake leaves. 

roofus

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:58:18 pm »
Should make good arrows as well.
I grew up in Southern Missouri and they are all over the place same as Oklahoma. They treat it like a weed. There is also alot of hedge down there.
There was a good article a few issues back in Primitive Archer about Juniper Bows. Beautiful stuff. Smells good too.

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:03:29 pm »
Blake, try this link.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13432.0.html     this is the bow i'm hunting with this year.

Have fun ! Eastern Redcedar is fun wood to work with.

JohnK
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:07:02 pm by John K »
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:19:04 pm »
WOW!!  Thats a nice bow.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline bcbull

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:14:20 pm »
BLAKE  DAMN NICE STAVE YA GOT THERE   ID MAKE A NICE FLAT BOW WITH IT   LEAVE AS MUCH OF THE SAP AS YA CAN  IF  YA BACK WITH RAWHIDE IS USE GOAT HIDE REAL THIN AND WHITE  OR SILK  GOOD LUCK  BROCK

blake

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:16 pm »
 Thanks for the help guys think I will go cut it down tomarrow!
  This will be m first bow ,can you guys give me some tips on spliting and seasoning it?

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:37:57 am »
blake, I cut mine in the spring so the bark slipped off. I slipt mine in half sealed the ends and back with white elmers glue and let it sit for about a month inside. After that i ruffed out my bow let it sit another month, and then it was ready for tillering. ERC seems to dry much faster than you'r hard woods !

Hope this helps some. JohnK
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:39 pm »
I was gonna add that the ERC here grows with limbs all the way to the ground. I've considered using it from time to time, there's sure no shortage. Do the limbs make it unusable?

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:22:17 am »
Go for it man John nice bow u made I never madeone from ERC I have it growing where I live and never thought about using it hmmm maybe I should..also was thinking about gettin that thing my good friend Ken75 told me about for making arrows cedar will make some nice shafts as well!!!

Keep us posted!!!