Author Topic: Brothers of the Bow/Disturbing pictures  (Read 18141 times)

Offline Adirondackman

Re: Brothers of the Bow/Disturbing pictures
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 07:50:19 am »
When I hear about things like this I get disgusted. I don't understand the disrespect for life. Kayakfisher you and your son our acting honorably by the way that you respect the game that you hunt. I feel guilty if I don't use every part that I can of the animal I harvest.

Offline ryanfromcanada

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 01:31:18 pm »
Man, that cheeses me off. I can Understand this at all. The only comferting thought is that at least Nothing really goes to waste in nature, the buzzards and yotes got a good meal by no means is this reason enough to do this but at least i can comfort my self in reqongizing that these deer got eaten by somthing. I agree with the karma statment hopfully they get whats coming to them.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 01:32:52 am »
I just got a Call from a Guy I work with.....His Son works for T. Boone Pickens here in the Panhandle... He told me that they have 37 Deer in the Meat Locker that They are looking for People to come and get the Meat....The Rich S@n of a &!tch had all of His Rich Buddies come up and Trophy Hunt on His Ranch....and Now they have all of these headless Deer that nobody wants.....Man this Crap just makes the hair on the Back of My Neck stand up...........knowing that They would Shoot and Waste these Animals just for a Mount....I love a Big Rack....but I ain't found one damned Good recipe for Antlers in my 51+ years of life...and I have no use in a Trophy Hunter....call Me what you will....but I shoot what I eat........I hate Duck....I don't Duck Hunt.....I don't have a craving for Dove....I don't Shoot Doves....I may be wrong ...but to Me this is Right.....I love Venison....Rabbit....Partridge....Quail and Turkey...and this is what My Wife and I just about sustain Ourselves on....very little Store Bought Meat ever comes into my House....well besides the Ribeye Steaks that is......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 02:07:15 am »
You are 100% right, El D. Maybe if T. Bum Sickens knew what it was like to be out of work for over 7 months, he'd appreciate having ONE deer. Hasn't the worthless @#$%^&%$ heard of Hunters for the Hungry? Of course not; he's never had to go to the food bank. This infuriates me.

I have no use for a trophy hunter, either. I shoot food. I eat what I shoot.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 03:23:54 am »
I am sure that The Rich Bugger just doesn't want to have to pay to have the Meat Processed before it is given to the Needy....In Texas ...You as a Hunter have to Pay out of Your Pocket for the Processing of a Carcass that is being Donated to Charity....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 02:30:11 pm »
Ya it is sad there is alot of peaple that could use the meat right now ,the only thing that separates from the rich is we have morals and ethics.
                                                                                                  Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »
 Ethics and morality do not wear pricetags.. yet in the hunting community it seems the more money involved , the less ethics and moral character. I say if you can't hunt with honor and integrity .. stay in the truck.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »
I personally know people that "extend" their hunting season, truck hunt etc.  I won't call the law on them because they only take what they "need" and use just about everything.  They only keep the antlers and hides because the hate throwing things out, they have a pile of them in the corner.  When they hear about trophy hunters I can see real disgust on their faces, usually followed by a few choice words I won't repeat here.  The fact of the matter is they are more ethical than many/most hunters that stick to the seasons.  Out of principle I can't condone their practices, and they know that I will refuse to participate.  I will let it slide simply because even though they do enjoy taking an animal out of season, it really is driven by necessity, it's how they feed themselves.  Not saying it is okay, but more along the lines that even hunters that bend the rules considerably would love to plant their boot in the backside of someone that cuts off a head and then leaves the carcass.  Believe me they would if they caught someone doing it.  No excuse for it.  Me I keep my nose clean and if I see that sort of thing I call the law.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 07:41:45 pm »
I wouldn't and couldn't shoot a Deer expressly for His Antlers....no way!.....but I have gone as far as to use a good Tag on a fresh Roadkill...that I watched happen....instead of leaving it there to be hit again and again...then just wasted....but if I would have had my Wife's truck instead of my Work Car...I would have just loaded it up and went Home with it...and not tagged it....thats the closest I have come to Poaching.....Now don't get me wrong...when I was living back in Da UP...eh.....and the Freezer was gettin kinda bare dere....I would load up da Wife...and go up to da Peshekee Grade (way out in da middle a nowheres)....and do some Hunting on Da Blacktop Ranch....wit a case of da Barley Pops....and da 8 track playing.....and before Ya knew it ya had a freezer full...but these were all tagged kills just not on legal property...fer dose dat don't know da Blacktop Ranch...is da County Roads...eh..... ;)

Hawk....I guarantee you that none of these went to waste...not when I was hunting for Me My Wife....and 6 of my 9 Brothers and Sister that were still at Home....after my Dad left Us behind.so these were like Welfare Food Stamps....only tastier...and easier to Swallow than State Aide........ :-[
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 08:10:30 pm »
 Hunting for food without a license is a whole different thing than killing for antlers.. I cannot judge other hunters, every man to his own.. But i personally will not poach.. unless it meant feeding my family..Hawk 

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 10:28:37 pm »
Hunting for food without a license is a whole different thing than killing for antlers.. I cannot judge other hunters, every man to his own.. But i personally will not poach.. unless it meant feeding my family..Hawk 

Yes, that's the same way I feel, I tried to say that in my post.  Hard times hit good people sometimes.  I can't say I haven't done some things (mostly as a kid) that I would not do differently now, but there are lines I just have not crossed.  I can look an animal in the eye and have the feeling that I have treated it fairly.

Swamp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 10:40:21 pm »
 well said Swamp Bow!

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 12:45:42 am »
I have never poached an animal out of season, but when you look at those that do and they call it need for necessity or survival. They can some how afford a fifteen dollar box of say 30-30 rounds twenty or thirty dollars in the gas tank to go do it. A $5.99 super sized Mc donalds  value meal on the way out ,and a $4 to $6 dollar six pack at the stop and rob to take along the way ,come on but then again if you were out in the wilderness like the hunters were that got snowed in and didnt know when you were getting out would be a different storie to me thirty or forty dollars will still buy a lot of hot dogs and ramen noodles.
                                              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 01:49:12 am »
I have never poached an animal out of season, but when you look at those that do and they call it need for necessity or survival. They can some how afford a fifteen dollar box of say 30-30 rounds twenty or thirty dollars in the gas tank to go do it. A $5.99 super sized Mc donalds  value meal on the way out ,and a $4 to $6 dollar six pack at the stop and rob to take along the way ,come on but then again if you were out in the wilderness like the hunters were that got snowed in and didnt know when you were getting out would be a different storie to me thirty or forty dollars will still buy a lot of hot dogs and ramen noodles.
                                              Dennis

I hear you Denis and I can only speak for the people I know.  I can tell you that they don't spend $30-$40 to take down an animal, they might spend that $15 on a box of shells.  That one box of shells will supplement their families for 3-6 months, can't do that with Ramen and dogs.  Fact of the matter is 95% of what they bring home are hogs (which don't have a closed season on private land here).  I used to think there was only black and white, I've learned that is not always true.  I've also learned that I sometimes have to ignore the grey, even when it gets a bit darker than I would prefer.  But you are correct, it's not right when it comes down to it.  I won't kick a man when he is already down though, no honor in that either.  I've had people not kick me before when they could have, maybe I'm just passing it on.  Hopefully times will get better, in the meantime you, I, and others can lead by example.   Peace.

Swamp

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 09:28:13 pm »
Being unemployed, I don't condemn any person if they need to take an animal for food. It's the laws of men that say you can't. The laws of Nature don't. The laws of men are far, far from perfect and still a far piece from even right or fair in many cases. There is a huge difference between what is "legal" and what is right. For example, there are rich guys coming here from out-of-state hiring out some-odd thousand dollar guides and going after elk that a poor local resident here won't get drawn for and, therefore, has no chance at. The rich guy is after the head for the wall. The poor guy who won't get drawn needs the meat. But, really, the poor guy can't afford the elk tag in the first place, either. An elk tag here costs a resident $121. A poor guy could barely afford an archery deer tag at $34. Is that right? No, it isn't. When did hunting become a rich man's sport? Given that, if I knew of a guy whose family was barely making it and he got himself an animal off-the-clock and used every bit to feed his family, I'm playing Three Monkeys: See nothing, hear nothing, say nothing. I'll turn in a head-hunting poacher and thrill-killers without a second thought. But some guy who needs the meat? Why is that wrong when some rich CEO flies in from Florida only really wanting the head? Remember what Charles Dickens said about the law. I can't print it here.

Now, the flip side of the coin is you can hunt rabbits and jackrabbits here year round and no bag limit on jacks. That's a lot of meat you can garner. But, at the same time, I don't like this re-hash of the "King's Deer" sort of thing we have going on here with elk tags unaffordable to many residents. The truth is, the elk here aren't even native. The native elk were wiped out a hundred years ago. The elk here are impacting the natural order, eating aspen saplings and so forth. Some biologists here say we need to cull more elk. So, really, this isn't a scarcity issue. It's a funding/cashflow issue. If you take a public resource and only allocate it to people based on how much money they have, well, how is that fair and unbiased? We have a lottery system anyway, so it's not a question of more elk tags being generated if the prices were lowered. Game and fish will whine about needing the money since they're funded by license and tag revenues. Ok, then raise the price on out-of-state licenses and tags. If people want to fly in here and take elk, well, let them pay to do so. But things have come to a pretty pass when some shyster bank exec who doesn't live here can afford to hunt here when residents can't. I'm tired of hearing about the SAME out-of-state "Know who that guy is???" rich CEOs getting elk tags here time and again and using this area as their personal hunting preserve with the collusion of our lame state game-and-fish dept. when a poor or working resident can't even afford to put in for the tag he probably won't get anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:55:59 pm by Tsalagi »
Living a dream...