Author Topic: How do I remove hair from a tanned deer hide  (Read 44243 times)

Offline seantOH

How do I remove hair from a tanned deer hide
« on: November 09, 2009, 05:49:22 pm »
Ok I need a little help.  I want some deer leather to use as grips on a couple of bows I have made.  A local taxidermist gave me some scraps of deer hide that have been commercially tanned.  These scraps are left over from deer he mounted for other folks last year.  They are wet and I have them frozen.  How do I remove the hair without damaging the tanned leather?  Thanks for the help!!

seantOH

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How do I remove hair from a tanned deer hide
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:15:05 pm »
Electric razor?  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seantOH

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:41 pm »
Hi Pat,

Are you serious? I never even thought of that but I would try it. I have probably 25 scraps so I can play with different options.  I was going to soak a piece in a solution of wood ashes and water like you would if it was a fresh hide but I don't if that would ruin the tan.

seantOH

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:49:41 pm »
Wood ashes is just a alkaline solution.  You could bring the Ph up higher with lime or caustic soda (sodium hydroxide).  I'd be interested to see how well that worked because it works well on green hides.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:57:01 am by jeffutley57 »
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:59:15 pm »
Sean, I was joking about the razor.       You probably are not going to get good results trying to remove the hair from already tanned leather. That is a process early on before the skin is tanned.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seantOH

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05:24 am »
Jeff,

Thanks for the response! I actually have a degree in chemistry-- but I don't use it anymore.  :)  I do have some liquid NaHO2 (sodium hydroxide) I can use to adjust the pH.  What pH should I shoot for?  I will try it on a piece.  Thanks!!

sean

Offline seantOH

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:10:54 am »
Pat,

I thought you were joking but was not sure.  ;)  I have read quite a bit about the tanning process and have always seen the high pH used to remove hair from a green pelt so I am not hopefull either.  I am hoping somebody else has some first hand experience.  Thanks!!

sean

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 12:29:29 am »
When a hide is tanned hair on the hair is set with alum to keep it from falling out.   I afraid it you try to shave the hide the 4 o'clock shadow will irritate your shooting hand!  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:04 am »
We have been dry scraping,it is not to easy and really messy but works. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 07:00:59 am »
When I dehair hides, I bring the Ph up to 12-13.  Hydrated lime has a Ph of 12.4, so it is easy to work with.  50 percent caustic has a Ph of 14, so it is a little more nasty.  Like Pat said, Alum tends to lock the hair in (it is an astringent) but let us know how it works out.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline seantOH

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:25 am »
I will thanks!!

seantOH

Offline seantOH

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:57:36 pm »
Here is what I have found out:

1) Shaving the tanned hide is not a good way to remove the hair.   :)
2) It does seem like the hair is starting to slip after24 hours in a hydrated lime solution.

I basically added 2 Tbs of hydrated lime to 5 quarts of water and stirred and then let the lime settle to the bottom of the bucket.  I then siphoned off the clear solution on top and put a rock on the hide scraps in the bucket.  I put the bucket in the fridge. I plan to leave them in the solution until I can remove the hair easily.

How do I tell if I have damaged/ "untanned" the hide after I have removed the hair?  Thanks!

sean

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 03:59:53 am »
hi, new here, but...

women (and i'm sure some men) sometimes use a hair removal cream that disolves the hair. a product here in oz that we have is "Nair" i suppose it's probably an abriaviation for ' No Hair', but many companies make it and it is readily available in chemists/supermarkets. it might take a large dose to do tanned leather but i would think it would work. spread it on thick, rubbibng right down into the base of the hairs, leave for 5-10min and scrape off and rinse well. it would be worth giving a go.

it would pay to shave the majority of hair off first with elec clippers to reduce time, mess and the ammount of hair removal gel needed.

i have some scraps of leather. i might try it. if it works i'll report back. just have to make sure a certain someone doesn't catch me using her hair removal gel  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:04:06 am by otis.drum »
Cape York, Australia

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 05:36:29 am »
If You are speaking of a doing this to a Deer Hide...think again! A Deers Hair is Coarse and Hollow....and a Pain it the Arse to cut with Clippers....plus it will ruin a good Pair of Walls Clippers....I know.... :-[....Unless You have access to a Commercial Pair of Clipping Shears....I would advise that You either Dry Scrape or Soak the Hair off in a Lye Solution and then Wet Scrape what doesn't slip.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 10:09:53 am »
i have cow hide. will see how it goes. can't hurt to try. the cow hide certainly hasn't hurt my clippers in the past. never tried deer hide.
Cape York, Australia