Author Topic: Spot Light  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Keenan

Spot Light
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:32 pm »
 I thought it might be neat to have a "spot light" thread. Hear are my thoughts for this thread.  It has to be about someone that you've helped learn a primitive skill. Complete with pics and short story about the event.
 Hear is the starter.

This is a good friend "Crazy Tony"  This was two years ago at our Central Oregon Bowyers Gathering. Tony had never been exposed to the primitive skills and this was his first fire building session with a bow drill. Several of us helped him and spurred him on as he ventured on his first "Quest for Fire"     Notice that he was so thrilled, that he actually made a fire, that he didn't realize how hot it was getting.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Spot Light
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:26:15 pm »
Hehehehhehe. I remember those pictures Keenan. I imagine that got a lot hotter if he didn't let go of it quick ;D. I like this idea, need to find me some victims er trainees though ::). Would be interesting - good idea.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:57:40 am »
 Thats the spirit Cowboy. ;)  Come on guys lets get some stories and pics together and spot light some passing on of the primitive ways ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:10:22 am »
This should be cool.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:29:39 am »
old tony..i don't know what got more burned...his hands or back.. ;D....i think its also a great idea..like Paul said...get some new people involved and sharing some thing that we all love to do...john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:00:16 pm »
 Yes John, There were several people that got fairly burnt on that one ::)

A few months ago Gordon and I were talking about why we love building bows, and he made a statement that sums it up very well. He said, "I love watching their eyes light up when I hand them a bow" 
  Doesn't get much better then that! ;D

As I looked at these pictures of Tony I couldn't help but notice that look in his eyes  ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:09:36 pm by Keenan »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 01:52:48 pm »
 Come on people, This shouldn't be hard. Lets get some people "spot lighted"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:41:01 pm »
  Well, I thought it was fun when I was loading Wayne, (stickbender) down with rock after he was bitten by the knapping bug. He couldn't believe I was willing to give it away. Heck, that's how I think most of us started. I felt so bad with him hauling off all that rock I had learned on That I told him to take a bow with him, too. I wish I had a picture. I'm like Gordon in I like the look on peoples faces when you give them a bow. You know you have them hooked, then. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:43:47 pm »
 Now thats a funny story Eddie and definitely what it's all about thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of when Dtiller came down to the Glass Butte knappin. The back of his little Honda Fit was dragging the ground from being loaded down with rock.  We had to put cow pies in the grill just to keep the front tires on the ground :D :D >:D  And I do have the pics >:D >:D

Ps. Stickbender is supposed to be at the Buttes on this Wednesday,,,,, ::) Maybe we can meet up with him and help you relive the experience  >:D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:17:42 am »
you guys brought me from shooting over spined carbons off of an underpowered elb to shooting gatoraid bottle tops off the top of my target.(well i did it once. need to practice more, but ya get the idea.  ;D) thanks to all of you.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 01:59:58 am »
I dont have a pic of this put I will post a pic of what my  son Peter does with my bows. This afternoon I got my new bow to full draw so I took it in the house to show Peter. He took the bow and said "I go kill a deer." It made me so proud.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 09:25:25 am »
 Thats what I'm talking about!  ;D Nice.

Offline kerryb

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 07:28:21 am »
super nice, ;D
Milan Mo

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 08:57:37 am »
 Just think Deerhunter,  many tears from now when he's shootin aspirin out of the air or downing an elephant with all primitive gear, that picture will be worth some bucks, ;D

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 05:06:53 pm »
Hopefully if he's shooting aspirin its not with a fiberglass bow. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley