Author Topic: Interesting old writing about bow history, Longman 1894  (Read 3800 times)

Offline snedeker

Interesting old writing about bow history, Longman 1894
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:07:37 am »
http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/badminton/docs/chapter03/chapter3_3.html

I got a kick our of reading through this.  I was browsing around, interested in history of bows in Asia prior to development of composite bow.   Longman suggests that the composite bow spread because that whenever it came up against selfbows it won out.  This is a little simplistic I think, because people using composites would likely have been mounted warriors and if they came up against fringe tribal level people still using wood bows, their wholel greater level of military organization would have been key to victory.

Dave

Offline bow-toxo

Re: Interesting old writing about bow history, Longman 1894
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:15:32 pm »
http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/badminton/docs/chapter03/chapter3_3.html

I got a kick our of reading through this.  I was browsing around, interested in history of bows in Asia prior to development of composite bow.   Longman suggests that the composite bow spread because that whenever it came up against selfbows it won out.  This is a little simplistic I think, because people using composites would likely have been mounted warriors and if they came up against fringe tribal level people still using wood bows, their wholel greater level of military organization would have been key to victory.

Dave

Goodf point about military organization which the 13 th century Mongols certainly had along with an incredible intelligence capability. Despite Mongol success with their composite bows against every European army they encountered, English archers continued to use self wooden longbows until the reign of Elizabeth i.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:25:30 pm »
The key to the difference in equipment used is in the nature of the warfare fought.  The mounted archer used a shorter bow that could cast a light arrow a fantastic distance, and that did not need to penetrate body armor.  The English archer used a long bow that would cast a very heavy arrow a shorter, but still signifigant distance for use against armored enemy in rank and file formations.  Both techniques were adapted very well to the type of warfare that the respective archers fought.  Really neat and interesting examples of archery tackle form following function.  Isn't this stuff cool!!??

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 03:20:37 pm »
This  isa digital  library  of  a  number  of  classic archery  works  and   articles,  fascinating,  thanks  for the  link (in old  english, f=s)):

"The Perfians made ufe of Arrows for another purpofe. By their affiftance they numbered their troops, and difcovered who had fallen in battle. When they undertook a campaign, each man placed an Arrow, with his name infcribed on it, in a cheft, or box, prepared to receive them, if after the battle, therefore, the king wifhed to be informed who were killed, he gave orders that each man fhould take the Arrow having his name upon it, from the cheft, or box; and when all were drawn belonging to the furvivors, thofe which remained fhewed who were abfent, or dead"
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 05:46:54 pm »
One wonders about the early selfbow styles of Asia.  The Asians who crossed the Bering strait in to N America around 13,000 years ago didn't have em yet, but you figure the bow must have been around in the neolithic there.  Zelkova is available in northeastern Asia, in Korea and Manchuria, pretty much east Asian Elm, and it makes a great bow.  the humid tropis of SE asia has good hard woods.

Dave