Author Topic: GregB won't be skunked this year.  (Read 23938 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
GregB won't be skunked this year.
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:23:37 am »
Gres shot a fine doe Sat. morning,I will let him tell the story. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Key

Re: GregB won't be skunked this year.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:15:02 am »
Let's hear the story GregB!
Roger

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:26:47 am »
Well let's see...once upon a time in the deep woods of Tennessee, there lived a great bowhunter by the name of... ;D

I had been hunting on Don's property,a good friend of mine, and had been seeing a couple of bucks traveling both a bottom and the side of a ridge. Don was hunting this morning as well, he was using a muzzle loader. I was using my snake selfbow and tonkin cane arrows with 160 grain magna points (combined weight of around 600 grains). Several times hunting where my lock-on was, I was seeing these bucks traveling that same area. I carried my climbing stand in and set up first one evening for covering the bottom. For you folks out there that may not be up on our Tn. lingo, a "bottom" is basically a hollow or the low trough area between two parallel ridges. There is a small creek running through this bottom. That evening's hunt I once again saw the nice 8-point, but he was 50 yards or so from me traveling the side of the ridge. The next morning (Saturday) I elected to shift up to the ridge and hunt.

It was a beautiful morning, with a temperature in the high 30's, and a heavy mist seeming to rise up from the ground for the first hour or so of daylight. Walking to the stand I heard a deer running off from the area I planned to hunt. I found a likely located tree and climbed it, got everything situated and settled in for the morning hunt. Within a few minutes of my getting still, I heard two deer walking and coming from behind me. They passed on either side of my tree within 10 yards, and although I could make out their form, I couldn't tell enough in the darkness to know if they were bucks or does, and for sure not enough light to try a shot.

I was enjoying the solitude that all of you have experienced of sitting waiting for daylight and listening to the world wake up. This particular morning the turkeys started their morning calls which increased in volume and frequency even with an occasional gobbler chiming in usually followed immediately by several of his buddies in support.  :) It was getting light enough where I could see a deer about 50 yards or so in front of me feeding on red oak acorns. I could even hear him popping the shells of the acorns from that distance. I said "him", because it was the 8-point buck I'd been seeing. He looked like he had between a 14" and 16" inside spread. A few minutes later I saw a deer approaching from in front of me and passing to my right. It was a small buck, maybe a three or four point. He passed about 25 yards to my right, a little further then I personally felt comfortable taking a shot. The rest of the morning was so eventful in deer sightings that I can't recall exactly what I saw in the right sequence...so in a nut shell, the 8-point, and a couple of different smaller bucks came and left a couple of different times during the morning. Even saw the 8-point come running down the adjoining hollow, and a spike buck chasing a doe. I doubt I saw more then eight different deer, but some of them would leave and come back to entertain me I guess. :) About 8:45 am a large doe and a couple of smaller ones were walking with a definite purpose and destination in mind, and were on a track that led just left of my stand. They were coming from in front of me, and I had plenty of time to get positioned and tighten my string pressure waiting for the moment of fulll draw. The does head went behind a tree when she was passing broadside about 12 yards from my stand. I drew and focused on her shoulder knowing that with her walking even at that distance I needed to lead her a little. I relaxed my hold on the string and watched the arrowed strike just a couple of inches behind her left shoulder. Just the fletching remained on that side indicating a pass-through shot. I immediately saw crimson appear as she broke into her last run. I waited about 30 minutes before taking up the trail, which I had to be careful walking to make sure I didn't slip on the blood...there was so much! She ran about 80 yards. She field dressed 105 lbs., a big doe for our part of the country. I had a double-lung pass through shot. Don had seen a nice buck that morning but couldn't get a clear shot. He was proud of my successful hunt. I carried the doe to the cabin and received congrats from Pappy and Beau and Terry and Case.  ;) I elected not to hunt that afternoon, but instead spent it working on knifes and shooting the breeze with Pappy. Life was/is good for sure! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:10:59 am »
I told you it would come together ;)  Good job Greg.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:53:03 am »
  good job and story, Greg.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BearG

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:07:42 am »
Way to go Greg ;D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Big A

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:56:57 am »
I knew you had it in ya.Congrats
A ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:01:02 am »
Way to go Greg! In a hurry will come back and read your "short" story this eve ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:09:16 am »
Way to go, Greg! Now you need to get back in there and get one of those bucks.... ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Keith V

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:24:50 am »
Good one Greg. Way to go.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:46:34 pm »
Thanks!
I told you it would come together   Good job Greg.
Shannon, could you tell me again? I'd like to get a chance on another one! ;)

Chad, I'd like to. Went back Sunday morning hoping I'd fine tuned into the feeding area I was seeing several deer including the 8-point frequent Saturday. All I saw was a little button buck that stayed out of range. Don't know if it was the heavy blood trail from the morning before that had them spooked, or just the warmer weather and they weren't moving as well.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline JustAim

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 07:21:30 pm »
Congratulations Greg!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
 Good on you brother.... some fine looking meat and hide.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 10:01:09 pm »
I doubt very much if it was the Blood trail at all Greg....last weekend my Buddy Shot a Doe in the Morning and He put His Grandson in that Stand that evening...because there was room for two in the Oldman Ladder Stand of Mine....and His Grandson shot a small 6 pointer....and before they decided it was time to check on Him...a Doe came in and He shot that too....was He a bundle of wired up Energy ofter two kills in 20 minutes...and His First Deer to boot!! All of this was within 15 foot of the Gut Pile from that Morning that the Coyotes still had not gotten to....

Oh I forgot....Great Shooting too........  ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:45 pm »
Now that's a nice morning on the stand. Congrats Greg.