Author Topic: How many arrows do you fly each day?  (Read 4944 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
How many arrows do you fly each day?
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »
When I get to work...before the day starts...I run at least a dozen.  Then again on my lunch break.  Then another just before I go home.  Makes AT LEAST 36 shots a day, usually closer to 50 (it's really hard for me to stop at 12, but not being on the clock gets expensive).  I've only been firing everyday for about two weeks.  My fingers are absolutely killing me...it only took about a week of daily shooting to get used to it a few years ago, but I've since injured my fingers and I can admit I'm over doing it a little now.

But anyway, question remains...do you shoot every day?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How many arrows do you fly each day?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:25:34 pm »
At one point I was shooting 50 to 100 arrows a day. Now I shoot a dozen or so at a time when the notion strikes me. However lately I haven't shot much at all. Haven't built a bow or arrows in a few months either...but I still like talking(typing) about them all. ;)
  I believe that once you get the mechanics of shooting to an unconscious level it doesn't take many arrows to keep your eye in tuned. I can pick up a bow right now and usually put the first arrow in the kill zone of my 3D deer target from my porch. Shooting at least 12 arrows a day will keep your shooting muscles in tune also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:34:22 pm »
Since I work 14 hour days I don't shoot every day, also I rest my fingers,
On my days off I shoot rds of 6 arrows X 6-10, fingers and concentration suffer after 60-75 shots, as much as I want to keep shooting,
I also start with a lighter bow to warm up
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:55:02 pm »
Makenzie,

Do you use a finger tab or a glove?  At only 50 shots a day it seems weird that you'd be so sore.  If you are using a tab you could try what I did http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16058.msg220996.html#msg220996

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:15:24 pm »
My release is all funky with a glove...but I don't have an "archery" specific glove so I might try that.  I've never tried a tab.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:27:50 pm »
I typically shoot about 4 or so times a week, a total of about 300 arrows a week. Usually I only shoot a little during the week, and get the most in on the weekends. I use a thin tab and only have finger issues after several days of hard shooting with 80# bows.

Starting soon I'm intending to start a practice routine though, the main idea mostly spending eveings and periods when I'm too tired to shoot for accuracy on blank baling and working heavily on form.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 05:34:07 pm »
I keep my bow and arrows hanging where I can see them. That way when I come in from work I change cloths, grab my bow and arrows and go out and shoot. It only takes 5 to 10 minutes to take a quick round shots.
  I haven't been able to shoot much lately because I had a skin cancer taken off my nose and a skin graft. It is right near where the string comes at full draw. It is healing well so hopefully I'll get back into it. Nothing more relaxing after a day of work than shooting a dozen arrows while enjoying a cold one.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »
100 to 200 shots dayly, sometimes more.

I start of with the first few from cold at targets, (never shooting groups) ..............than most of my shooting is for form, I finish with some more at targets.

All that is usually in one session unless I have to do more due to time consrains
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:30:01 am by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 07:23:45 pm »
What  draw weight  are  you  pulling  Pirate?

That's  quite a  round  of  arrows at 75#+
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:01:03 pm by zeNBowyer »
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 08:43:26 pm »
when i was shooting alot of tournaments it was around 200 a day now just what i need to keep on target.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:51:40 pm »

Lately I've settled on 75 to 80# bows
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:56:52 am »
usually 1 or 2 a day during hunting season.Sometimes more on the way out of the woods
stump shooting. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 09:58:18 am »

Lately I've settled on 75 to 80# bows

worlds strongest pirate!  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:48:15 pm »
I can't see pulling an 80lb bow fifty times during the course of a day.  I'm doing everything I can to keep it up with a <60lb.

Went back to usingn a glove today...just could not handle the string raking across my bruised fingers any more.  Changed my style up just a bit...raised the nock point half an inch and drew to just under the eye as opposed to the cheek.  Holding consistant now...but pulled my glasses off once.