Author Topic: Source of hickory  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Source of hickory
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:31:05 pm »
I'm planning to start either a pyramid or Modoc style flat bow, 60" long and around 50# at 27" to use for deer hunting. I was thinking about purchasing a quarter-sawn 1x3 hickory board to work with, but am having trouble locating a lumber yard that carries hickory. Does any one out there have any ideas where hickory can be purchased in the mid-west; or a suitable, comparable wood. Maybe hard maple?
Thanks, Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Innocente

Re: Source of hickory
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:37:23 pm »
same problem here in california. ended up searching like mad on google for lumber yards, hardwood shops, etc.  finally found a couple places.
agreed though, from all i read it's the ultimate board builders wood, but so frickin hard to find. thank god red oak is plentiful.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:38:54 pm »
Don't look at lumber yards...most of them won't have any idea what "quarter sawn" is.  Look for a saw mill.  Might be hard to find.  There are also one-off hardwood stores...look in the yellow pages for "hardwood".
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:51:07 pm »
Thanks, there is an Amish saw mill not too far away. Innocente, how did red oak work for a pyramid bow?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:23:26 pm »
Yeah - I find it at a 'hardwood' locations.  They are basically processing it to make custom moldings for builders. 
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:03:38 pm »
The Amish saw mill will be your best bet. They still quarter saw lumber and should have hickory. They may also have osage and other woods. I would go check it out.
  I made a great hickory backed red oak pyramid bow a few years back  but sold it recently and don't have pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Innocente

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:56:28 pm »
i just bought me a red oak plank earmarked for my pyramid project, so i can't tell you just yet.
i DID try a gorgeous design pyramid longbow, with birch.  backed it with linen, it detonated on me on the tillering  tree. (was shooting for 65#, may have set the goal a little high).
i'll be reporting on my red oak linen backed pyramid bow soon as i crank it out.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:51 am »
I'm in southern Indiana...There are two big lumber yards in my city here with hickery...my friend who works there said they just got in some Ironwood...they are kiln dried but I  think I may be able to get a few fresh cut to air season.  But hickory likes low MC anyways

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:56:11 pm »
You might also consider calling around to your local custom cabinet makers.  Many of them use dimensional hickory under other laminations.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.