Author Topic: sigh. trying again *pics*  (Read 14355 times)

Offline recurve shooter

sigh. trying again *pics*
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:47:32 pm »
redoak board bow. 72 inches, 6 inch non bending handle (hopefully)

all done with a drawknife. ( my bandsaw is a lemon. cant get it to cut a streight line.) wish me luck, and i'll get pics of either a broken bow or a functional one soon.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:07:18 am by recurve shooter »
lets just shoot it

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: sigh. trying again
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:58:34 pm »
I don't own a bow grade bandsaw. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:19:41 pm »
good luck recurve!!!  As much time as you spend conversing with such grand bowyers, surely some useful information has rubbed off on ya!!!  ::)  ;D Seriously though just take your time and tiller slowly.  I think it will come out great!  good luck man!  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:17 pm »
thanks guys. i got to the point where i was like "aw the heck with it im just gunna yank this tiller string to.......step away from the tools. time for bed." lol. i dont know if this one is gunna work or not, but i hope it will. i left the limbs wide, tips wide, to long, so on and so forth. gunna work some more on it tomorrow.
lets just shoot it

radius

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 11:43:27 pm »
$100 ryobi is all ya need...thing with a bandsaw is to cut CLOSE to the line, and then sand the rest of the way.  A ryobi bandsaw and sander are an awesome combo for making bows, price probly under 400.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:51:01 am »
Aww don't use a band saw!  My first bows I took such short cuts with, and my end result suffered greatly.  An old-school, two hand planer will do everything you need in relative short order.  At most, a power sander with 80 grit paper.  I don't think a saw is ever "needed".
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Iukee

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 04:10:45 am »
One trick with the bandsaws is to find where you can buy your blades custom made. I have a 9" ryobi I use for parquet flooring and it won't do anything with those brand name shrink wrap blades you get at the stores where you buy the saws. Look in the yellow pages for saw shops, call around and ask if they can repair broken bandsaw blades any shop that has the spot welding machine that I've ever seen also has bulk bands and can custom make you what you need the gauge is a lot better and the blades have a lot more set. I've reduced green black locust and hackberry with mine. Makes one huge difference.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:23:42 am »
One trick with the bandsaws is to find where you can buy your blades custom made. I have a 9" ryobi I use for parquet flooring and it won't do anything with those brand name shrink wrap blades you get at the stores where you buy the saws. Look in the yellow pages for saw shops, call around and ask if they can repair broken bandsaw blades any shop that has the spot welding machine that I've ever seen also has bulk bands and can custom make you what you need the gauge is a lot better and the blades have a lot more set. I've reduced green black locust and hackberry with mine. Makes one huge difference.
Yeah applies to bow saws to, I got a cheap 30" bowsaw, it cut on the curve (I knew it wasn't me, 'cos the curve reversed when I turned the saw around), I bought a nice new Swedish blade...wow, cuts dead straight like a knife through butter.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:26:45 am »
I did a lot of my first bows with a draw knife and farrier's rasp,it just takes longer but every bit as good.The saw saves a lot of time on stave's but I have ruined a few also ,you really have to be careful. As far as a belt sander,I never use them except maybe on the tips,I am not very good with them and they will ruin one faster than a band saw in my experiences. Good luck and go slow,it ant
a race.Remember you can take wood off but you can't put it back. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 07:04:35 am »
I agree with Pappy. Take your time and don't rush things. it will come. And refer to George's sight from time to time for reasurance. Happy Tillering!
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 07:23:13 am »
thanks guys. its five thirty in the morning, and it looks like im about to go work on it some cuz my grandpa's truck wont start to go hunting.  >:(
lets just shoot it

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 07:48:41 am »
Recurve, would you quit being so bull headed and just bring your wood over to my shop or house ?......big, heavy bandsaw at each location......piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 08:07:22 am »
lol. i broke the one you sawed out for me to. :-\ if i break this one i'll get you to do the next one for me.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline recurve shooter

Re: sigh. trying again (it actually worked, lol)
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 01:37:19 pm »
wow. it worked. i didnt break the thing. :o

came out light weight, between 30 and 40 pounds somwhere, and its long and slow and ugly, but it aint broke, so im thrilled!  ;D ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: sigh. trying again (it actually worked, lol)
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 01:56:54 pm »
wow. it worked. i didnt break the thing. :o

came out light weight, between 30 and 40 pounds somwhere, and its long and slow and ugly, but it aint broke, so im thrilled!  ;D ;D

Pics?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry