Author Topic: just starting  (Read 2489 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

just starting
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:18:19 pm »
ive been wanting to get into flint knapping for a while.  so yesterday i ordered a knapping kit from native ways. It comes with two pounds of flakes and spalls.  But i was wondering if anyone knew where to find knappable rock in central or western WV?  I know we somtimes find old points around here but dont know what rock they used.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: just starting
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:50:27 pm »
there is some hard stuff up there.. don't remember what its called..  but if you head west into KY you can find rock..
Mililani Hawaii

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:41:21 pm »
i was looking in overstreet indian arrowheads and ther is a site in kanawha co. w.va. and the points are made of black kanawha chert   they also used milky quartz and rhyolite might want to look there.
bryan irwin

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:32:06 pm »
Those area's sound good. Sorry I don't have a clue about that part of the country. Ya gotta apply yourself and get out and find it - I know there's gotta be something around there ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 12:22:16 am »
thanks for the replies.  ill have to check out about kanawha chert i live in kanawha co.

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 02:01:04 pm »
I checked into that black kanahwa chert the geological survey says it out crops just above queen shoals on the elk river  which is only about five miles from my house guess ill be heading up there some time soon.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:35:16 pm »
show some pictures if you can so i or we can seeaht it looks like.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:22 am »
That would be cool. If you can get permission from a landowner or find a road cuttout or something, you could possibly load up. Take a camera whenever you make your run as warhawk suggested. I love pict's of raw materials and where they came from..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.