Author Topic: Tear outs on edge of bow  (Read 2432 times)

Offline sander

Tear outs on edge of bow
« on: November 22, 2009, 05:36:06 pm »
This stave wasnt wide enough to get rid of some tear outs.  What you see in the photo is the
worst of it.  Can I fill those in with say hide glue.  Any excperience out there? ??? The wood is osage I was afraid of the glue creating a wedge effect and possibly stressing the wood.  Sander

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:39:14 pm by sander »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tear outs on edge of bow
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 06:07:10 pm »
This stave wasnt wide enough to get rid of some tear outs.  What you see in the photo is the
worst of it.  Can I fill those in with say hide glue.  Any excperience out there? ??? The wood is osage I was afraid of the glue creating a wedge effect and possibly stressing the wood.  Sander

I'd just remove any dead material and smooth all faces and edges, then call it 'character' .
If you must fill it, I'd use saw dust from the same timber mixed with the epoxy or hide glue of your choice. Pack it in hard, then file flush when it's had 24hrs to go off.
A bit of epoxy in there first and a waft of the hot air gun will help to prime the surface.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:24:22 pm »
i had a character stave with a similar gouge.  I used epoxy thinned with acetone and sawdust to fill it.  held up ok. no splinters.  the gouge ran just into the fade almost like yours but not as far in.  give it a try like del said.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:28:57 pm »
I have successfully dealt with tear outs like this with super glue and saw dust. You may have to do it in layers to get good coverage and to be sure there are no voids.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:05:22 pm »
I too have patched them up...but I always use Hide Glue...you don't even need any sawdust ...just fill it with Hide Glue...let dry....and you are done...only thing to remember with Hide Glue is....it don't take color too well...and it has to be sealed...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:57:37 am »
I usually do like Del,clean out the dead and call it good.They usually won't cause any shooting problems. :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sander

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:43:33 am »
Thanks everyone for laying out some options.  Sander