Author Topic: Question of grain  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Question of grain
« on: November 22, 2009, 07:00:42 pm »
Recently I had a friend give me a hickory-backed walnut bow to finish. Its mostly done and looks good. However we both were questioning the way the hickory was cut. The few bows I've added wood backing to have always been quarter sawn. This backing was plain or flat sawed at a local lumber yard and has quite a number of run ups, otherwise the glue job is good, the core and backing are smooth, and knot free, the bow bends easily and evenly at floor tillering. To be safe I put a lenin backing over the hickory backing. Is this a good insurance policy, or was it unnecessary, or is there any way of knowing? The bow will be 70" ttt and going for 45-50lbs at 27". It still needs to be dropped about 6-10 lbs and hasn't been strung. Thanks.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Question of grain
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:20:15 pm »
Not really sure how to answer this one without seeing the grain. A backing is always a good insurance policy. Good luck. Post some pictures.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:46:44 pm »
I have made quite a few bows with flat grained hickory backings that had violations and never had a back failure. Others have not been as lucky. :o  Adding the linen is good insurance. ;)  At that length, low weight and relatively short draw your bow won't be over stressed either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:33:55 am »
Thanks guys.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.