Author Topic: belly chrysals and a rawhide patch??  (Read 2228 times)

Offline sulphur

belly chrysals and a rawhide patch??
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:04:33 pm »
In one of Gordon's build alongs i saw that he used thick rawhide to patch a belly chrysal.  How effective a repair is that???  i have a hickory board bow that developed a 3/8" chrysal on the top limb running diagnally.  I don't think its much of a problem, but i was thinking a rawhide patch covered with some black leather would add some insurance and not be a bad accent.  what do you guys think?? and is there another way?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: belly chrysals and a rawhide patch??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:38:41 pm »
This is just my opinion....
I don't think anything will repair a chrysal, rawhide and such are only good in tension. they won't stop the wood collapsing under tension.
I may be wrong, but I think once you have a chrysal you have two choices.
Ignore it and allow the bow to loose pindage and follow the string, or shave off the belly and turn it into a kids bow.
Sorry...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:58:10 pm »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:59 pm »
Sand the area flat. Cut a thin, 1/8" or so thick strip of striaght grained hickory/Osage/ipe/etc. (also flat). Use two-ton epxoy and glue it over the damaged section. Once cured, carfull sand the transitions and leave it slightly thicker.

Ta-da! A butt-ugly but ever-so-effective fret/chrysal patch :)! I've done it on some seriously bad spots, and on some heavy bows too, no issue- just leave the patch thick enough.