Author Topic: WHAT IS ARROW SPLINE+HOW 2 CHECK IT  (Read 12368 times)

WEEBOB

WHAT IS ARROW SPLINE+HOW 2 CHECK IT
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:09:20 pm »
THIS ROOKIE NEEDS INFO. ON ARROW SPLINE, HOW TO CHECK IT SO THE KIDS I'M TEACHING DON'T GET HURT, I'M NEW TO ARCHERY SO  SAFETY 1ST,  THANKS

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: WHAT IS ARROW SPLINE+HOW 2 CHECK IT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:33:28 pm »
I believe the word you are looking for is spine. It is the stiffness of the arrow. Higher spine means a stiffer arrow. Arrows bend around the bow when they are shot, this is referred to as archers paradox. If an arrow is too stiff it won't bend around the bow and will hit off to the side. If it is too weak, it will hit the opposite direction. I hear they can even break although I have never seen this from an undamaged arrow.  It has to be measured with a spine tester.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »
Search for spine and you will find all the reading material you need.
Here are a good one.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1910.0.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

WEEBOB

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 12:58:16 pm »
THANKS. THATS WHAT I NEED 2 KNOW . ANY ARROW SHOULD SHOOT SAFELY ON A 30# OR LESS BOW. AS LONG AS IT IS NOT CRACKED, JUST TARGET PRACTICE . IS WHAT I'M AFTER,AGAIN  THANKS

WEEBOB

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 01:01:03 pm »
OH BY THE WAY THATS Y I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING ON SEARCH;;;I CAN'T SPELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPINE?????????????????ROOKIE MISTAKE, SORRY

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:13:45 pm »
Actually,SPLINE is a proper term for archery,its just not what you were useing it for.Spline is the reinforcement slice, of another material, in the nock end of an arrow.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:14:04 pm »
I just built a spine tester last night ala Jim Hill (with a dial indicator). Now I was checking tonkin cane shafts and some were spining out at 105#, but I'll treat it like I do a chronograph. (If it shoots good, who cares?) It will be a handy tool though for finding the stiff side of the shaft and grouping batches of shafts in 5# increments. I just marked the deflection value on each shaft. I will also weigh each shaft and mark the weight of each shaft in grains. I'm going to bare shaft them through my bows anyway though. Each bow will have a tube of shafts that fly good out of that bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:12:14 pm »
Tom, on cane shafts you can subtract 10# of spine weight for the natural taper and another 5# for each inch over 28" arrow. Most folks make their cane arrows long anyway and they fly well at different draw weights. I cut my cane arrows 29" to 30" for my 26" draw and others as long as 34" or so.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

WEEBOB

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:55 pm »
THANKS GUYS,  ONCE I GOT THE SPLINE AND SPINE  SPELLING RIGHT THE WEALTH OF INFO OPENED UP, ARCHER1 WAS A BIG HELP ON HIS POST ON SPINE IN THE ARCHIVES. AND THE SUGGESTION  TO GO TO O.L. ADCOCK.  I GOOGLED IT, WOW WHAT INFO. EASY TO UNDERSTAND INFO. ON WHAT YOUR BOW WILL SHOOT AND HOW TO TUNE IT RIGHT!!!!!. NOW JUST DO IT. THANKS TO AGAIN ALL THAT HELPED ON THIS,  THANKS TO PRIMITIVE ARCHER FOR THIS SITE, THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST PLACE TO LEARN ABOUT  LONGBOW  ARCHERY, KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT  WORK ....BY THE WAY I KEEP MY CAPS  LOCKED ALL THE TIME, I'M ALWAYS SHOUTING ABOUT AND GLAD TO BE LIVIN FOR THE LORD,,,,  WEEBOB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:30:53 am »
Great ,but it makes it hard to read. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:14 am »
Great ,but it makes it hard to read. ;) ;D
   Pappy
You got that right Pappy.
Not to mention most people don't like getting yelled at.

SW Utah

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 12:06:52 pm »
Thanks Pat. That's good info to know. I haven't cut them to length yet. I'm just checking the 26" section from the nock forward. Like I was saying, I may not know exact spine, but I can sort my arrows out real good! I'm also going to compare my readings to known spine arrows I have.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 03:38:57 pm »
Tom, I also built a James Hill spine tester with a dial indicator but rarely spine my cane or hardwood shoot arrows but I do check for the stiff side.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC