Author Topic: Pictures Raw Material  (Read 9980 times)

Offline paulc

Re: Pictures Raw Material
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 02:56:34 pm »
Hey jcinpc, what are you trying to do when you heat treat your rock...?  I am brand new to playing with rocks and really have no idea why you would need to cook it?  How does one tell if the rock you have in hand should be cooked or not?  TIA  Paulc

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 04:43:25 pm »
I`m just following in the line of the ones here before me. In paleo times they didnt have the technology to cook their rocks, thats why 99.9% paleos are raw. In the archaic times they learned how. It makes it ALOT easier to flake or work. I dont know about how it effects most other cherts or what the charicteristics are when cooked but coral takes on a glossier look. You can cook alot of the harder areas right out. I have done it when I get towards the center of a head and its grainier, cooked at a higher temp will most of the times cook it out, if its not to thick. Down here when we dig certain sites alot of times we do find cooking pits, not for food but for rock. I have found quit a few in the past 25 years. Sand and charred wood all mixed up blown up pieces with the pot lids. I have found certain sites where the point was cooked inside the meat and it popped the point.  The sad part about all these sites are they were mostly construction sites I dug before they started it and now most are subdivisions  and no arch surveys were done are deemed important enough to stop it. No place to see or learn from what was there, except when I go to the schools each year.   heres a few pics of a couple of frames of stuff.  I frame mine by sites not typology, that way I can see the different times in one frame. I might have 10 frames from a site and only 1 or 2 from another.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 05:05:57 pm »
Jcinpc those are the best Pictures and explanation i have seen so far i truly thank you for both me and others. I wish i could get me some pieces of heated coral if you could provide Pm me or Nugget i know he would appreciate it, Whew i like your arrowhead pictures.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline paulc

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 06:37:04 pm »
So does anyone know if I should be "cooking" flint from the Flint Hills of Kansas?  How long do you cook it for?  What do you watch for to know it is done?  Thanks a bunch for the info.  Paulc

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 07:39:06 pm »
 Man, isn't Coral pretty? I just heat treated a variety of stuff andgot my new knapping area set up. I'll post some pictures of my stash tomorrow.  Jeff, how many times has Rick tried to talk you out of that Hillsborough?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:43:35 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 08:11:35 pm »
none, I have never showed him,lol I found it right down the road by English creek

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 08:38:03 pm »
Hey Jeff: You knew of course that you'd get hit up about a trade here if ya posted all that coral right ::). I have lot's of knappables but nothing that purdy - what'dya say ;D?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 10:07:31 pm »
 Jeff, did you ever see the pretty red one he found in the creek behind his place? Paul, If you work a trade I can save yall shipping. I'm driving out to Houston sometime this month to work in Pasadena. Or, I'm going to Brazil first, not sure in which order. ??? But when I come out I want to load up on some of those potato field rocks or Georgetown.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »
Hey Jeff: You knew of course that you'd get hit up about a trade here if ya posted all that coral right ::). I have lot's of knappables but nothing that purdy - what'dya say ;D?

you might have to wait for that trade at the moment, I have mailed out about 8 boxes in the last 2 weeks trading and for gift exchanges on different boards. I just traded for a  box of killer Biggs picture jasper in, the old stuff with blue, traded for pet wood and deschutes for moss agates and fire agates ,traded for a fire piston and a few pounds of chaga.  If Eddie is going out there then that will be cool cause I`m tapped out on shipping funds for awhile. hit me on a PM and well do the email swap.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 10:49:51 am »
Jeff,
You have some great looking finished pieces. Thanks for sharing. Also, I sent you a PM.